Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Does it matter which one I get or which brand?

I ran out of my USB ports.

The only thing that is required is at least a 1 foot length cable.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I would get a USB 3.0 hub, because if you get a hub with USB 2.0, it will be incredibly slow with transferring files, etc. I don't think it really matters which brand, just as long as it's a reputable brand like Anker or Caldigit (do they even sell just plain old USB hubs?). It sounds like a USB 3.0 PCI-e card like I have won't be a good option for you because you need a 1 ft long cable.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
For a simple USB only hub brand is to particularly important as long as it is well made.

My wife & I have a couple of these around. They work well. They have 2ft cables. It is possible to add USB-3 extension cables to any hub, but such extensions should be kept as short as possible.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
If you plan to move huge amounts of data or connect a big external SATA SSD with a lot of big files on it or use an external m2-nvme SSD you might want to consider choosing a hub that is capable of UASP. But in everyday scenarios for a private user (i.e. not in a time critical business) this might be neglectable.

You might also consider, if you want to choose a hub with USB-C USB 3.1 Gen 2 (or higher) connecting to your Mac. Just for the future, when you get a Mac with a faster USB-C or thunderbolt connection and you want to use your hardware longer and get faster drives (maybe doing parallel data access). If your Mac currently has USB-A, there are adapter cables from USB-C to -A. Some hubs come already bundled with such a cable.

Here is a short overview of the connection types and transfer rates (the German words says: old naming, new naming, branding, data throughput, connection type, logo):

Mind modern HDDs (arround 100-200MB/s) and even SATA-SSDs (450-500MB/s) are well within the practical throughput window of USB 3.0. (SATA-SSDs could theoretically jump a bit over the range of USB 3.0, but that is probably practically neglecatable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.