Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clemfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2022
So, I have a USB microphone and I want to connect its output to the input of another USB audio device (A Roland VT-4 Voice Transformer). Not physically, only through my MacBook.

I am no expert on Mac USB audio, however, I have spent a day or so trying: aggregate devices, Jack and VB-Audio virtual cable.

Sending system audio out through the vt4 and then using the processed sound (eg recording in Quicktime) is easy, however, I simply cannot connect my USB mic output to the VT-4's USB input.

OMG, how hard can it be?

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Looking at the VT-4 manual, there appears to be only one USB type B port on the VT-4, which is used to connect the VT-4 to a computer in order to use it as an audio interface.

The manual makes no mention of the VT-4 supporting USB microphones.

How are you connecting your USB microphone to the VT-4?

Clemfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2022
Looking at the VT-4 manual, there appears to be only one USB type B port on the VT-4, which is used to connect the VT-4 to a computer in order to use it as an audio interface.

The manual makes no mention of the VT-4 supporting USB microphones.

How are you connecting your USB microphone to the VT-4?
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to connect the output to the input via my MacBook i.e. CoreAudio, and not directly physically.

Clemfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2022
It may not be an ideal solution, and I am open to all ideas, however, I skimmed this master's thesis Microsoft Word - Inter-appn-audio.doc by Richard Hallum and discovered the free "Line In". You can download it from Download LineIn for Mac | MacUpdate

This works perfectly for me. My USB Mic's output is now redirected to the VT-4, and I can use the VT-4's processed output with whatever app I choose.

I am certain that Line In is a 32 bit app, however, I have a number of these which I am not prepared to sacrifice as yet and so I will stay with OS X 10.14 for now.

There must be other apps which can perform this task?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It may not be an ideal solution, and I am open to all ideas, however, I skimmed this master's thesis Microsoft Word - Inter-appn-audio.doc by Richard Hallum and discovered the free "Line In". You can download it from Download LineIn for Mac | MacUpdate

This works perfectly for me. My USB Mic's output is now redirected to the VT-4, and I can use the VT-4's processed output with whatever app I choose.

I am certain that Line In is a 32 bit app, however, I have a number of these which I am not prepared to sacrifice as yet and so I will stay with OS X 10.14 for now.

There must be other apps which can perform this task?

Loopback

Clemfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2022
Several hours of research later over the past week or so and here is my solution: SoX - Sound eXchange

sox -r 48000 -v 0.8 -V -t coreaudio "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" -t coreaudio "VT-4"

I installed sox and the above command pipes my USB microphone to a Roland VT-4 Vocoder.

I have also used Platypus to wrap the above command (which I have added to a bash script). The end result is an app which I can simply open and close as required.

The Line In app was olay, except I could not save my setup. Loopback might work, however, I always subscribe to the KISS principle whenever possible i.e. keep it simple stupid!

Reactions: bogdanw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.