Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
So I have been trying to use USB Overdrive on my iBook with my Logitech Unifying Receiver (it's a Logitech M570 trackball), and whenever I move the trackball it will make the mouse jump to the right edge of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
So I have been trying to use USB Overdrive on my iBook with my Logitech Unifying Receiver (it's a Logitech M570 trackball), and whenever I move the trackball it will make the mouse jump to the right edge of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is an incompatibility. Does the same thing with my wireless mouse/keyboard from Logitech in Mac OS 9. In fact, I can’t use the hacked Mac mini Mac OS 9 installer directly because they installed usb overdrive to the iso. I had to install Mac OS 9 from OS X with the drag n drop then bless method.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
This is an incompatibility. Does the same thing with my wireless mouse/keyboard from Logitech in Mac OS 9. In fact, I can’t use the hacked Mac mini Mac OS 9 installer directly because they installed usb overdrive to the iso. I had to install Mac OS 9 from OS X with the drag n drop then bless method.
Ok, thanks! That's too bad. I really like my trackball.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Ok, thanks! That's too bad. I really like my trackball.

It doesn’t work at all? My mouse doesn’t have a functioning scroll wheel or right click in OS 9 but left click and the keyboard itself works. I really need to just buy the proper Apple keyboard, mouse, and a usb hub.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
It doesn’t work at all? My mouse doesn’t have a functioning scroll wheel or right click in OS 9 but left click and the keyboard itself works. I really need to just buy the proper Apple keyboard, mouse, and a usb hub.
Well, the mouse is unusable basically. It just jumps to the right of the screen and can't go anywhere else.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
USB Overdrive is bringing my G3 beige to freeze. I can reproduce the random freezes simple with the Extension Manager.

-> Open Extension Manager, then deaktivate and aktivate an Extension fast and several times. I get a Freeze when I do this. Without USB Overdrive I dont get a freeze in this test, and also no freezes on using the System.

This is not your specific Problem, but if you get freezes, control this.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
USB Overdrive is bringing my G3 beige to freeze. I can reproduce the random freezes simple with the Extension Manager.

-> Open Extension Manager, then deaktivate and aktivate an Extension fast and several times. I get a Freeze when I do this. Without USB Overdrive I dont get a freeze in this test, and also no freezes on using the System.

This is not your specific Problem, but if you get freezes, control this.
Thanks for the tip! :D

Maybe this should be turned into a wiki thread of some sort for USB Overdrive problems and fixes?

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I'd love that. I can't say I'm especially good, but I do like to play. :)

We should setup a time, let me know what works for you.

I eventually want to run my own server with all the default maps+custom maps that works on the OS 9 version, just having those 2 servers with 0 players in them at all time is kind of a bummer. I wonder how many Mac OS 9 lives/MacRumor’s PPC forums users would be interested in a scheduled games thread. OS 9 especially is a gaming powerhouse, idc what anyone says.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
We should setup a time, let me know what works for you.

I eventually want to run my own server with all the default maps+custom maps that works on the OS 9 version, just having those 2 servers with 0 players in them at all time is kind of a bummer. I wonder how many Mac OS 9 lives/MacRumor’s PPC forums users would be interested in a scheduled games thread. OS 9 especially is a gaming powerhouse, idc what anyone says.
Ok, I shall do that! I could probably do it sometime next week. I'll PM you with times when I get a better idea.

That would be awesome to run your own server! You should make a post about it on both forums, I'm sure people would join in! :D

Mac OS 9 is a gaming powerhouse indeed. When I first got my Power Mac a few years back, OS 9 was my main gaming OS! :)

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Ok, I shall do that! I could probably do it sometime next week. I'll PM you with times when I get a better idea.

That would be awesome to run your own server! You should make a post about it on both forums, I'm sure people would join in! :D

Mac OS 9 is a gaming powerhouse indeed. When I first got my Power Mac a few years back, OS 9 was my main gaming OS! :)

There’s so many great games, I don’t think people realize how many there really are. Lots of ports, which are extremely impressive since classic Mac OS is nothing like Windows.

Sounds good, I’ll start looking into the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.