Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Not sure I'm posting in the right forum but I just have to share this. Now that's smart. ^_^

1.jpg

Link

Introducing our revolutionary new rechargeable battery - the USBCELL.

This NiMH AA cell can be used like a normal battery and can be recharged simply by plugging into a USB port. No need for a separate charger or cables when travelling. Built in intelligent USB charger. Charging for just a few minutes provides extra hours of instant use for most input devices.

Only available in the UK for now.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
That's actually interesting. Make it into a thumbdrive and you've got me sold!

1 GB of space and a rechargeable battery?!? AMAZING!

How many more useless USB gadgets will be released?

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
If I understand fully want you mean, why would a USB memory stick need a battery?

However, the USB Batterys that the OP Posted are super cool, and although £12.99 for 2 is rather expensive, for what they are that aint bad at all. *Impressed*

Edit, hmmm, their 360 on the buy it now page seems to have a rather large internal hemorrhage, all red lights? Not good at all!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Markleshark said:
If I understand fully want you mean, why would a USB memory stick need a battery?

However, the USB Batterys that the OP Posted are super cool, and although #12.99 for 2 is rather expensive, for what they are that aint bad at all. *Impressed*

Edit, hmmm, their 360 on the buy it now page seems to have a rather large internal hemorrhage, all red lights? Not good at all!

I was joking. There's no need to continually make more USB devices such as these.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Markleshark said:
I think you misunderstood. Warbrain (he who provides no challege to me in fantasy football) thinks that the product could be made "even better" by including a 1GB flash drive. That way you have your batteries and USB drive in one package.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
These could be very handy on the road. My laptop could be used as a battery charger. I wonder how long they would last in a digital camera.

Eidorian said:
I can't wait until it hits the US. This is one of the best ideas for batteries in ages!

I've put myself on their list so I will know when I can get me some over here.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
nbs2 said:
I think you misunderstood. Warbrain (he who provides no challege to me in fantasy football) thinks that the product could be made "even better" by including a 1GB flash drive. That way you have your batteries and USB drive in one package.

Ahhh, I see. Yes, an All-in-One like that would be amazin! :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It is a sweet idea. Expecially since I'm seeing more USB ports around. Hopefully, they'll also have them available in C, D, and 9V sizes. Hell, a 6V battery that could charge over USB would be awesome.

Of course, I'm still looking for the Firewire-Ethernet cables, and for Firewire to replace standard Outlets in some places. If only you could charge your computer over USB/Firewire.

TEG

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
nbs2 said:

I can only assume that you're the Iggles since you are the only team I lost to. Yea, you stomped me this week. But I'll get you next time.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Warbrain said:
I can only assume that you're the Iggles since you are the only team I lost to. Yea, you stomped me this week. But I'll get you next time.
Good point - I guess I never gave my MR name/Team name in that thread. And good luck bringing me down, since I am an unstoppable machine!:D

Back on topic, I won'der if there would be a way to get data from a camera to the batteries (which I guess would be redundant, since the camera needs the batteries), so you could use them as portable storage - at least for those cameras that still take AAs.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sorry for bringing this old thread to life. Just to let you know that the batteries are now shipping to the US. Still no shipping to Canada :-/

Not sure why but I like these batteries. ^_^

swapandplay.jpg

(4 red lights? They need to plug in their AV cable ^_-)

Edit: I wonder if the USB plugs on the back of the Wii are grouped too close together to plug in a pair of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.