Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjfarsi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I just purchased a SimpleTech USB Simple Drive, because I was told that it would work for Mac. But when I plug it in my computer wont recognize it? I am plugging it into my USB drive on the side of my powerbook... and it is not showing up when I run disk utility. I also just noticed that once I unplug it from the USB, that drive does not work, until I restart, for example if I plug my mouse in, it will not work. Any suggestions?! I am running OSX 10.3.9.. Please help. Thankyou.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Is it getting power from the USB port only?

If that is the case the usb port might not be giving the drive enough power to function. Have a simular problem with my external 2.5" 60gb 7200 rpm drive. It has two usb connectors though, when plugging in both of them the drive gets enough power and works fine.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Powerbook and iBooks are notorious for not being able to provide enough power to the USB bus. Meaning USB powered harddrives really don't work with these laptops.

Unfortunately, you have limited choices.

1) Get a power supply for the USB drive.
2) Get a firewire enclosure (they do just fine for powering harddrives).
3) LONGSHOT: Try a powered USB hub and hope for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.