Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
My car has a USB Type-A for charging and connecting to Apple Car Play.

We will soon have two phones - an iPhone 14 with a lightning cable and an iPhone 15 with a USB-C cable.

How do we go from here, connecting phones with two different ports (not simultaneously, ofcourse)? Have two different cables? Is there some kind of splitter?

Basically, how do I introduce a USB-C iPhone to a car with a USB-A to Lightning cable and another lightning cable iPhone?

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
My car has a USB Type-A for charging and connecting to Apple Car Play.

We will soon have two phones - an iPhone 14 with a lightning cable and an iPhone 15 with a USB-C cable.

How do we go from here, connecting phones with two different ports (not simultaneously, ofcourse)? Have two different cables? Is there some kind of splitter?

Basically, how do I introduce a USB-C iPhone to a car with a USB-A to Lightning cable and another lightning cable iPhone?
I'll be taking 2 cables, one USB-A to Lightning and one USB-A to USB-C. I can't be bothered with all that adapter stuff which will probably end up not working at some point when Apple push out an update to make it incompatible. Unless someone comes up with a (MFI certifiied) dongle which is a lot less than $29 as I am going to need multiple

F1Turbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
I'll be taking 2 cables, one USB-A to Lightning and one USB-A to USB-C. I can't be bothered with all that adapter stuff which will probably end up not working at some point when Apple push out an update to make it incompatible. Unless someone comes up with a (MFI certifiied) dongle which is a lot less than $29 as I am going to need multiple
Which USB-A to USB-C cables do you like? I'm looking for a good quality 2m, 2 ea 1m, and a 4" or so short one.

MacRumorUser78

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I have this in my car and love it personally!

Recyphi Chubby Plus-2 in 1 Charge

It'll come in handy for me as my personal will be a 15PM and my work phone is a 14PM.
Have you tried this yet? We're in almost the same situation except iPhone 13. We don't want to have to swap cables. And this device is nice because it's more than a splitter, it has enough cable length.

Does it work with CarPlay and does it charge both phones (not at the same time)?

The change to USB-C is turning out to have more complications like this. But we went with the 15 because -C is the future (some will point out it's been here for years).

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
This one works for me: MJEMS USB C Multi Fast Charging Cable PD 60W Nylon Braided Cord 4-in-1 3A USB/C to Type C/Phone Fast Sync Charger Adapter Compatible with Laptop/Tablet/Phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.