Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Do we know if this feature is just for Apple Displays? Or will it work with other USB web cams?

1686040639773.png

Reactions: Kal Madda

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Yeah just installed the beta tried with the Elgato Facecam Pro and its working just fine in FaceTime, auto switched when connected. But doesn't seem to work in discord yet but guessing the app needs an update for that.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I’m guessing that if continuity worked for this (ie using your iPhone as webcam as you can on the Mac) they would have said so, but I’m still gonna ask if anyone knows! That would be really nice to have.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Continuity camera does not appear to work for me anyway.

Tried a mirrorless camera (sony Zv e10) as a webcam and worked a treat. Once plugged in it automatically selected it in FaceTime. You cannot easily select to go back and forth if need be between the IPP front facing camera and your webcam of choice.

Reactions: boston04and07

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Continuity camera does not appear to work for me anyway.

Tried a mirrorless camera (sony Zv e10) as a webcam and worked a treat. Once plugged in it automatically selected it in FaceTime. You cannot easily select to go back and forth if need be between the IPP front facing camera and your webcam of choice.
Was that connected through a monitor, or to the iPad directly? Does iPadOS 17 support external web cams directly connected to the iPad without a monitor?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Wait. If you connect a camera. Then open the camera app (on iPad direct), it will use the connected camera instead of the built in camera?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Wait. If you connect a camera. Then open the camera app (on iPad direct), it will use the connected camera instead of the built in camera?
No it will not. It is just for video calls e.g. FaceTime. Apps like Teams and Zoom will need to update their apps to take advantage of this. There is the infrastructure in place as was introduced in Ipad OS 16 for this.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I figured 3rd party due to the beta. I was hoping the stock Apple camera app would work

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I figured 3rd party due to the beta. I was hoping the stock Apple camera app would work
That’s not really the purpose of the Camera app, though I guess they could use it like a not-so-remote tethered shutter app? I don’t know what the use case really would be here. Though FTR, I’m not opposed to such a feature being added, just don’t understand what the use-case would be.

P.S. There are remote shutter apps for both iOS and iPadOS that are compatible with most camera brands such as Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, etc.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I guess, what I’m referring to is using the iPad itself as a podcast device. Camera+Mic and screen recorder like your doing a podcast. In that type of fashion. If that makes sense.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I guess, what I’m referring to is using the iPad itself as a podcast device. Camera+Mic and screen recorder like your doing a podcast. In that type of fashion. If that makes sense.
Ok, that makes sense. 👍🏻. Perhaps a remote shutter app would be helpful for controlling your external camera! 👍🏻

• Love
Reactions: hovscorpion12

islade

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Worked perfectly in facetime with both:
  • Fujifilm X-H2 in 'webcam' mode directly connected
  • Sony FX6 via generic (j5 create) HDMI to USB WebCam dongle (like a camlink)
Quality seems really good, massive improvement over 2018 ipad pro camera

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
waiting on 3rd party app support and will help the iPad grow with this addition. insta 4k webcam and iPad Pro 12.9 would be an interesting portable streaming solution. plus points the webcam in the. proper position. lol

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
I wonder if this could let you hook up a Nintendo Switch via USB-C, and use the iPad’s screen and speakers?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
The reddit site is not open to public now. Could you please elaborate what I need for such connection? I think I found the TestFlight link for the app, but I have no idea about capture board. Thanks in adavance!
https://testflight.apple.com/join/kaEqupTX Here’s a link to the testflight. You’ll need a UVC compatible capture card. I can’t really say for certain how well any of the generic ones on Amazon work, but my Elgato HD60S+ works great with my iPad.

Reactions: doccho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.