Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgeog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I have a late 2013 iMac and I use it for my photography but the transfer rate is slow from my LaCie drives. I have been waiting to see if Apple will be upgrading the iMac to the new USB4 Vol 2 in an iMac but I have seen nothing. Does anyone know about this?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Apple collaborated with Intel to develop Thunderbolt. They are still creating TB host chip designs as the spec develops, but they are just complying with the minimum level of USB to go with each generation of TB.
So I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much. I don’t think Apple bothers with USB.
So when TB 5 comes it will support whatever level the USB4 gen 2 specs mandate as a minimum level.

wgeog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Apple collaborated with Intel to develop Thunderbolt. They are still creating TB host chip designs as the spec develops, but they are just complying with the minimum level of USB to go with each generation of TB.
So I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much. I don’t think Apple bothers with USB.
So when TB 5 comes it will support whatever level the USB4 gen 2 specs mandate as a minimum level.
Thanks for your response. I guess I'll hold out until WWDC is over and then decide what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.