Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlternativeOne1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
Hello folks,

Hope all of you are doing good and having a great weekend!

I wanted to know if anyone here owns two iPads simultaneously? I have an iPad Pro (11 inch, 2020) that I use for everything (Reading, watching movies, mails, etc.). I wanted to buy an iPad Air that can be solely my work device.

Here are some of my reasons:
  • I like to keep my work and personal life separate. I don’t want to put my work email, slack, etc. on my personal iPad. I own two phones for this very purpose.
  • While I have a work laptop, I think an iPad will benefit my workflow immensely. I do a lot of reading/research and the form factor lends itself very well to this type of work.

I am by no means rich. But I can spare the money for an iPad Air if I am a bit thrifty with my other spending habits for the next few months (ordering takeaways, clothes & sneaker shopping, etc.).

Do you think this is a wise thing to do? If you have done the same, can you share your experience?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I do something similar these days with my older devices sticking around as work only devices that don’t leave the office or the studio anymore.

Reactions: rui no onna

AlternativeOne1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
I do something similar these days with my older devices sticking around as work only devices that don’t leave the office or the studio anymore.
That sounds like a great idea! I used to own an iPad 6th gen which I sold when I got the IPP. Now I think I should have kept it with me instead.

Do you feel like it has impacted your work positively? Like increased productivity perhaps? I feel that owing a work-only iPad will help me keep work/personal separated while also the joy of using and interacting with the iPad will make me happy and therefore more productive.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That sounds like a great idea! I used to own an iPad 6th gen which I sold when I got the IPP. Now I think I should have kept it with me instead.

Do you feel like it has impacted your work positively? Like increased productivity perhaps? I feel that owing a work-only iPad will help me keep work/personal separated while also the joy of using and interacting with the iPad will make me happy and therefore more productive.

I mean ultimately it’s all really up to you. I keep my work and personal apps on both my iPhone and iPad but I limit my usage of them to the working week and over the weekends I’m not using them at all unless I have to for some reason. In which case even if I had separate devices I’d still have to deal with them anyway.

Reactions: ericwn

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have an iPP Pro 2021 and a Mini 5 that I use every day, mix of work and play, plus an iPP Pro 2018 that gets used occasionally.

If you can afford to have two iPads and you think you will use them both (regardless of how), get the second one.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I can’t really explain a logical benefit but it’s more a piece of mind setup. When the time came to upgrade my personal stuff I decided to keep the old devices around at least for work reasons.
I work for a small software company and it’s just a nice feeling to have devices dedicated to a specific purpose when you enter the office.

The more common approach is certainly what Akash has written about, and as usual the man makes a lot of sense.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
If you can afford it then why not? I happen to use my 12.9 for both work and play but can see the advantages of a dedicated work device.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I use my 12.9 largely for work, and have used an Air3/Air4 as my other/non work iPad.

I do tend to gravitate towards the smaller devices, especially as I take a lot of notes at work, and so I end up using them both at work...

12.9 spends a lot of time desk based, and I take the Air4 around with me, as it is so light I don't even need a bag. I haven't managed to successfully do the whole 'one device solely for work, one for play thing' yet.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Hello folks,

I wanted to know if anyone here owns two iPads simultaneously? I have an iPad Pro (11 inch, 2020) that I use for everything (Reading, watching movies, mails, etc.). I wanted to buy an iPad Air that can be solely my work device.

• I like to keep my work and personal life separate. I don’t want to put my work email, slack, etc. on my personal iPad. I own two phones for this very purpose.
  • While I have a work laptop, I think an iPad will benefit my workflow immensely. I do a lot of reading/research and the form factor lends itself very well to this type of work.

I am by no means rich. But I can spare the money for an iPad Air if I am a bit thrifty with my other spending habits for the next few months (ordering takeaways, clothes & sneaker shopping, etc.).

Do you think this is a wise thing to do? If you have done the same, can you share your experience?
I have one iPad for work and one for home. It is easy as I am lucky enough that one of the devices is payed by the work place. It gives peace and I do not risk paying for the wear and tear of the work iPad (travel , lecture halls, labs etc). Particularly peace is important and it help me to relax when I put the work iPad aside.

Only one phone payed by work that I am allowed to use privately. It is a mess with family photos of course.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
iPadOS really needs to support different user profiles.

I would do two devices in your situation, but make the IPP a MBA or MBP to maximize work productivity. My personal browsing and media consumption is not something I would be comfortably even passively exposing to enterprise logs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello folks,

I wonder if the upcoming focus mode feature in iOS 15 may be able to tackle some of the issues you are facing. You should be able to create a profile for work and another for when you are outside of work. It's not as granular as having 2 separate devices though.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a dual-pad (and subsequently, dual keyboard) setup. The idea was that I would have a 12.9" iPad for use at home (mainly for the larger display), and the 11" iPad for use at work, where portability is more desired. In theory, iCloud would keep everything synced between multiple devices, and I can share accessories like the Apple Pencil between both iPads as well.

In the end, I settled with just a smaller iPad, because I find that as a teacher, I actually don't want to keep my work and personal life separate. It's convenient having my teaching notes and material stored in notability, and being able to review it anywhere I go. During my free periods, I play YouTube or Apple Music while doing my marking. I browse reddit or play "Slay the Spire" if I am bored during a meeting.

I think an iPad would excel for reading and research, but whether to get 1 iPad for everything or split your work/life between 2 devices, that's ultimately on you. I get why some people would want to do this; I have managed to find my peace in this regard. ?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have two iPads, a 12.9” and a mini. By virtue of its size, I use the larger iPad mostly for work and personal productivity. It is a secondary device to my Mac which handles the heavier stuff. The iPad is used for lighter portable productivity (with keyboard), reading PDFs, and drawing/noting (with pencil). I use the mini mostly for play by virtue of its size. I occasionally switch it up and use the other for work or play, depending on the needs of the situation. I don’t really feel a need to separate my usage based on purpose. In other words, the only reason I have two iPads is I need the two different sizes. I wouldn’t have two similar sized iPads unless I need to use them at the same time or to keep them in two separate locations. Otherwise, putting one device down to pick up another identical one and maintaining/keeping track of yet another device doesn’t seem practical. But that’s me. I do see a need to keep work/personal files and accounts separate, and while it would probably be more ideal if iPads supported multi users, for me all the apps I use allow multiple accounts or have folders which I can organize as needed.

rluvbeach

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
Boynton Beach, FL
I have a new iPad air 4 for for play at home and use my old iPad 2 at work.

I teach math and use a white screen app to help students with their classwork at their desk.

The iPad 2 is/was a hell of a device

Reactions: limesmoothie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.