Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quadra605

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
My Airport Extreme died & I replaced it with an ASUS router: all good. My apt. building is old & wireless coverage is not great, so the way I had connected to my Roku in the living room from the internet access point in the 2nd bedroom was as follows: Cable modem-->router-->MoCA adapter #1-->coax running under the carpet to living room-->MoCA adapter #2-->Airport Express-->Roku. That all worked without a hitch & also extended my wireless coverage in to the living room.

My question: I thought that after the Airport Extreme was out of the equation, I would have to replace the Airport Express with a simple ethernet switch (to add my Xbox)--but I see the Airport Express is still doing it's job A-OK (see attached screenshot). SHOULD I take it out of the loop and replace it with the ethernet switch? Will keeping it in confuse the ASUS? (I know I'M confused :/) I'm no longer concerned with extending the wireless, but enjoy being able to play iTunes through my stereo with the Airplay.

2022-05-01_06-46-52.png

Last edited:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Yeah you can set the Extreme to act as a simple switch. Just turn off all internet access settings and you should be good.

Reactions: quadra605

quadra605

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
Yeah you can set the Extreme to act as a simple switch. Just turn off all internet access settings and you should be good.
Thank you--that's good to hear. Can you point me to where/how I turn those settings off? If I edit the device in Airport Utility, it currently shows it as a base station and router mode is listed as "Off (Bridge Mode). Of the multiple tabs available, I'm not sure what else to edit & what to leave alone.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yep Bridged Mode in Mac OS means that it turn off NAT (Network Address Translation) but not the wireless! IMHO sense ISP are going to modem & wireless router int Modems! This is causing confusion and the reader Double NAT error when you want to use another owned router behind that modem

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Thank you--that's good to hear. Can you point me to where/how I turn those settings off? If I edit the device in Airport Utility, it currently shows it as a base station and router mode is listed as "Off (Bridge Mode). Of the multiple tabs available, I'm not sure what else to edit & what to leave alone.
Yep bridge mode is what you want. A switch is a multi-port bridge.

Reactions: quadra605
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.