Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pascalfrencken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
My work provide me with a Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 (model 20X6) laptop. It has both a USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 and USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 port that support DisplayPort 1.4. I was expecting that when I hook this laptop up to my Apple Studio Display with a Thunderbolt 4 cable, it would work. But it doesn't. The camera and audio in the Studio Display are detected and work fine, but the display keeps flickering between dark grey and black.

Does anyone know how a laptop with USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 can be connected to the Studio Display to get it to work? Ideally with the camera and audio working but if not, only display should be fine as well. Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Pascal

mjoecups

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2017
Also, "Apple Studio display" isn't enough information(I am old), due to Apple's reuse of this name in different generations.

If your Lenovo doesn't support Thuderbolt the answer is no, it won't work. The thread above is pretty confusing for me, as it does suggest some people have it working with Windows using special "active cabling" I wonder if somehow this cable magically converts USB3 Displayport signals to thunderbolt for the display? That seems like a lot of work for a cable to do...

It's kind of a bummer that for "convenience" these different protocols all use what appear to be the same cables...

mikejoeward

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
My work provide me with a Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 (model 20X6) laptop. It has both a USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 and USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 port that support DisplayPort 1.4. I was expecting that when I hook this laptop up to my Apple Studio Display with a Thunderbolt 4 cable, it would work. But it doesn't. The camera and audio in the Studio Display are detected and work fine, but the display keeps flickering between dark grey and black.

Does anyone know how a laptop with USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 can be connected to the Studio Display to get it to work? Ideally with the camera and audio working but if not, only display should be fine as well. Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Pascal
Were you ever able to find a solution for this? I have the same configuration and getting the same audio and camera, but blinking display. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.