Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Goal: Turn off EVERYTHING (sensors, feedback etc.), use as bluetooth streaming device for music only?

So, I got an apple watch, I use it for music during my run (do not want to carry my phone). How can I turn off EVERYTHING (sensors, other funny stuff) and use it for music only? (I don't even wear it on my wrist, but keep it in my pocket)

(Overall pretty disappointed with the limitations of a 400$ brick, I feel like a prisoner having to fight with the restrictions of this product)

Problems:
- Syncing super slow (expected with bluetooth, but disappointed nonetheless)
- No crossfade (apple, spotify), wow did anyone at apple actually test-run with it at apple!?, how depressing when the music stops after every song haaa
- Annoying announcement when running, every km
- Why are my imessages etc synced (cannot turn off), why can I not delete the messages, facetime apps?
- When left aside for 2-3 days (80% charge) it is dead when I pick it up again, why? I don't want it to do anything, just sleep and wait for my run. Can I turn it off maybe and only turn it on for my run?
- Fast forward, backwards in music player noshow?! Why can I not scrub through the track, 15 seconds back, 30 seconds further. Music player has extremely limited functionality

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Howard2k

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sounds like you want an iPod nano. Too bad Apple doesn't sell those anymore, but perhaps you can find one on eBay?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Are you using a cellular watch?

If not did you consider an iPod touch?would be a cheaper option, more storage and compatible with your AirPods Pro.

It’s smaller than an iPhone, so could potentially go in a pocket or use an armband instead.

It seems like your use case for the watch is super limited if you’re not wearing it.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I have the series 7 non-e-sim version.

So far I have (works ok-ish):
- Turned on do not disturb: 9am-9am (basically 24h)
- Turned off all sound / haptics

Annoyances remain:
- Why do I need to sign into my Apple ID?
- Why can I not delete the iMessages app on my phone?
- Why can I not "send" music (mp3s etc) directly to the watch via macOS?

TommyBG86

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2019
Germany
Apple specifies how long the operating times of the watch are. If you do not need it, just turn it off, then the battery does not go empty.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The Apple Watch is not the product for you, OP. You’re trying to force it into a use scenario that it was not designed for. You’re better off returning it. It is not an iPod and you won’t be satisfied trying to turn it into one.

Reactions: TommyBG86

Janak Parekh

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Agreed with the others… but I’ll add that, to me, cellular fundamentally changes the Watch music story for the better.
  • Not having to sync in advance eliminates a lot of the annoyances. I lace up, pick the album I want to listen to, and I’m off;
  • Crossfade seems to work fine when streaming the Music app over cellular.
This doesn’t address your other questions, but for me, has drastically improved the usage. Unfortunately, it also increases the cost. For me, it’s worth it, YMMV.

Janak Parekh

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
BTW: I think you can turn off the announcements and tweak a few (but not all) of the other behaviors via the Watch app on the iPhone. In particular, you can turn off Watch => Settings => Workout => Voice Feedback off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.