Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I setup a location automation in shortcut to turn on a switch in HomeKit. Once it has been trigged, it requires a confirmation to run it. I can't figure how to run it automatically in the background.

The reason I'm using Shortcut is that you can adjust the radius of you location. HomeKit automation doesn't have that option.

Thanks

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Is anything that's considered a "secure" device (locks) part of the scene? I thought only devices with secure devices required authentication to run.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Someone needs to explain to Apple what an automation is.
Same behavior with Personal automations in the Shortcuts app. For example, having music run on my phone at a certain time asks for confirmation. However, with HomeKit, I only get the confirmation request when the automation involves my door locks, garage doors and alarm system. Not turning on lights.

Do you mind if I ask what this switch is controlling? If just a light, that is odd behavior. Being that it’s location based, it may consider it a secure automation in case someone steals your phone and is able to find your home.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
It just a regular switch. If I did the same automation in HomeKit. It doesn't required a confirmation.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It just a regular switch. If I did the same automation in HomeKit. It doesn't required a confirmation.
Mind if I ask why you’re not just using HomeKit to automate it? I set up all my home automations in the HomeKit app which works great. I just recently looked into the Shortcuts app automations and most of the triggers require a confirmation. It’s too bad because it could’ve been very useful but Apple crippled it IMO

Einz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
You can adjust the radius of you location trigger in Shortcut, but not HomeKit. I'll just back to HomeKit.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You can adjust the radius of you location trigger in Shortcut, but not HomeKit. I'll just back to HomeKit.
Gotchya. Yes you did mention that in your OP. My apologies. There is some workaround using DND. I haven’t been able to figure it out yet but then again, I haven’t really tried that hard either. There have been a lot of people complaining about this on Reddit. Hopefully Apple changes it.

MadXD

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Orlando, FL
I see some confusion here, so I will try to clear this up...

Home Automations (HA) are saved and triggered from a Home Hub (an Apple TV, HomePod or iPad¹︎). Shortcut actions available for an HA are generally limited to home-based actions. This limit is partially due to Home Hubs lacking features and apps used by many Shortcut actions (TV, HomePod). Since these run on devices that don’t have a user present, a confirmation is not required before running any Home Automation.

Personal Automations (PA) are saved and triggered from personal iOS devices
, usually an iPhone. There are no limits to which shortcut actions can be added to a PA. Some PA choices have an “Ask Before Running” toggle; turning this off allows the automation to run in the background without user input. Unfortunately this option doesn’t exist for many PAs—such as WiFi, email²︎, message²︎, and location-based triggers. Apple has decided that any security implications outweigh functionality, so confirmation is required for most [useful Personal Automations, such as location-based triggers.

IMO, requiring a confirmation completely kills the functionality of an automation. At that point, it may as well be a location-based reminder. If you aren’t actively using your iPhone when the PA tries to run, the confirmation easily gets lost in your list of notifications.

For more than a decade, I’ve wanted my iPhone to automatically turn off Wifi connections when I leave my house (so that WiFi stays on but doesn’t connect to networks). Upon returning home, I want it to then re-enable WiFi connections. I also want WiFi to turn on/off as I arrive/leave from my local grocery store—in an area where I get zero cellular service.

Unfortunately the WiFi action for shortcuts only allows completely turning the WiFi radio on or off (strike 1). Then, the location personal automation requires conf. before it’s run (strike 2). While iOS 14 adds new triggers and removes the confirmation requirements for some—the most powerful automations³︎ remain limited and pointless (strike 3).

¹︎One of these HomeKit hub devices must be signed into the Apple ID that created the HomeKit home. The hub must be powered, on, and connected to the same WiFi network as WiFi-controlled HK accessories. Bluetooth-controlled accessories must be within Bluetooth range of the hub device.

²︎Email and message-based personal automation triggers will be available starting with iOS 14 (Fall, 2020).

³︎Confirmation is required for these automation triggers: Arrive, Leave, Commute, connect/disconnect from a specific WiFi network or Bluetooth device, receiving a message or email* from a specific person (*email automation can also be triggered by a specific subject, or limited to specific to/from addresses).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I see some confusion here, so I will try to clear this up...

Home Automations (HA) are saved and triggered from a Home Hub (an Apple TV, HomePod or iPad¹︎). Shortcut actions available for an HA are generally limited to home-based actions. This limit is partially due to Home Hubs lacking features and apps used by many Shortcut actions (TV, HomePod). Since these run on devices that don’t have a user present, a confirmation is not required before running any Home Automation.

Personal Automations (PA) are saved and triggered from personal iOS devices
, usually an iPhone. There are no limits to which shortcut actions can be added to a PA. Some PA choices have an “Ask Before Running” toggle; turning this off allows the automation to run in the background without user input. Unfortunately this option doesn’t exist for many PAs—such as WiFi, email²︎, message²︎, and location-based triggers. Apple has decided that any security implications outweigh functionality, so confirmation is required for most [useful Personal Automations, such as location-based triggers.

IMO, requiring a confirmation completely kills the functionality of an automation. At that point, it may as well be a location-based reminder. If you aren’t actively using your iPhone when the PA tries to run, the confirmation easily gets lost in your list of notifications.

For more than a decade, I’ve wanted my iPhone to automatically turn off Wifi connections when I leave my house (so that WiFi stays on but doesn’t connect to networks). Upon returning home, I want it to then re-enable WiFi connections. I also want WiFi to turn on/off as I arrive/leave from my local grocery store—in an area where I get zero cellular service.

Unfortunately the WiFi action for shortcuts only allows completely turning the WiFi radio on or off (strike 1). Then, the location personal automation requires conf. before it’s run (strike 2). While iOS 14 adds new triggers and removes the confirmation requirements for some—the most powerful automations³︎ remain limited and pointless (strike 3).

¹︎One of these HomeKit hub devices must be signed into the Apple ID that created the HomeKit home. The hub must be powered, on, and connected to the same WiFi network as WiFi-controlled HK accessories. Bluetooth-controlled accessories must be within Bluetooth range of the hub device.

²︎Email and message-based personal automation triggers will be available starting with iOS 14 (Fall, 2020).

³︎Confirmation is required for these automation triggers: Arrive, Leave, Commute, connect/disconnect from a specific WiFi network or Bluetooth device, receiving a message or email* from a specific person (*email automation can also be triggered by a specific subject, or limited to specific to/from addresses).
Is that from the Apple website? Secure devices using a HomeKit automation do require user confirmation from a notification. By secure device, I mean anything that can gain entry to the home like smart locks, garage door openers, alarm systems, etc.

If I have my garage door automated to open when I arrive home, I get a notification asking if I want to run the automation.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I can understand limiting location-based automations for things like garage doors or locks, but not personal automations. Hopefully this is something they will look at for iOS 14 but as of the current betas it’s still the same.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I can understand limiting location-based automations for things like garage doors or locks, but not personal automations. Hopefully this is something they will look at for iOS 14 but as of the current betas it’s still the same.
Im sure I read somewhere that iOS14 will not feature fully automated location based triggers but at least time based (and I think a few others) is now fully automated. Maybe they’re taking baby steps and iOS15 will add more fully automated triggers. Location based is the most important for me though with time being second.

Jayl00

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2020
I‘ve gotten over this limitation this way. I installed a smart plug (cheap iHome models) hidden away some place without connecting any power cord to it, then program the automation based on people leaving (or arriving) to turn on the plug, and set up another automation rule based on an accessory turning on (or off) to trigger opening the garage door or unlocking a door or whatever. Turning on/off a plug never requires a confirmation and automating the secure appliances (lock, garage door, etc.) based on another appliance is all passive silent action. I have five of those dummy switches on a power strip under our bed for various opening, closing and locking and unlocking functions and these work without a fail.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I‘ve gotten over this limitation this way. I installed a smart plug (cheap iHome models) hidden away some place without connecting any power cord to it, then program the automation based on people leaving (or arriving) to turn on the plug, and set up another automation rule based on an accessory turning on (or off) to trigger opening the garage door or unlocking a door or whatever. Turning on/off a plug never requires a confirmation and automating the secure appliances (lock, garage door, etc.) based on another appliance is all passive silent action. I have five of those dummy switches on a power strip under our bed for various opening, closing and locking and unlocking functions and these work without a fail.

I’ve seen a product called hoobs that loads on a raspberry pi that allows you to run Homebridge through a GUI and also allows you to create software switches instead of needing actual devices to accomplish what you have done. I’m going to mess with it and see how it works soon...

Einz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Depending on what you want to do? If it is just opening a door or 2. A $9 switch is cheaper than Hoobs. Homekit switches are getting very cheap nowadays. I bought a few to replace my old wemo switches

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.