Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Got a gen 2 pencil for cheap from Amazon warehouse but curious what your favorite uses are for it

I got it just to doodle occasionally and for novelty to navigate sites instead of relying on finger but

trying to figure out more pirposes

i kinda like that it can pull up the small iphone size keyboard instead of full size and screenshot by dragging bottom left but open to more tricks and such

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You can use the small floating keyboard even without the Pencil, just pinch the regular keyboard to pop it out. Is there another way to pop it out with the Pencil?

The only other thing I can think of is if you tap the Lock Screen with your Pencil, it opens up the Notes app.

There are probably a couple other little tricks, but I’d say if you’re not into writing, drawing, or markup, or have a big thing about fingerprints on your screen, the other Pencil features probably won’t be enough to make it worth it for you. I think you should use this as an excuse to start drawing/painting more. 👍

Reactions: thadoggfather

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I wanted an Apple Pencil for my 4th Gen Air but I couldn’t justify the cost given I am not a drawing person, so I got one of these and it works exactly like a 2nd gen pencil! It even charges magnetically!

Joeyli

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2023
I wanted an Apple Pencil for my 4th Gen Air but I couldn’t justify the cost given I am not a drawing person, so I got one of these and it works exactly like a 2nd gen pencil! It even charges magnetically!

If you are in the US I think this pencil is a good choice, I found it on a website where it was on sale and the overall price was very reasonable. Discount code:655K6AJE

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I usually use for note taking and draw - not for in class, but during my me time, reflection session. Lots of inspiration coming during that session. Thanks to Apple Pencil.

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.