Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dyaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Hey all. This is my first post and my first apple. A nice new shiny 15" PB :). So far i'm really enjoying it. There is just this one thing that has me confused. When i'm the settings for "Keyboard and Mouse," the option "Use the F1-F12 keys for custom actions" is checked, but the keyboard operates backwards from what you'd expect. For example, with the option checked i have to hold the Fn key to perform the custom actions? What's up with this? Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Dyaus said:
Hey all. This is my first post and my first apple. A nice new shiny 15" PB :). So far i'm really enjoying it. There is just this one thing that has me confused. When i'm the settings for "Keyboard and Mouse," the option "Use the F1-F12 keys for custom actions" is checked, but the keyboard operates backwards from what you'd expect. For example, with the option checked i have to hold the Fn key to perform the custom actions? What's up with this? Thanks.

I think what it means is... (poorly worded)

- if you want to press the function keys to do the things printed on them (lower/raise brightness, audio level, expose) without pressing fn, you don't click the box, and you use the *custom* features (meaning if a program specifies them to do something else) by pressing fn.

- if you click the box, then you press fn with the key to do the things like raise/lower volume, but if you press the key by itself, you get the program-specific function.

Is that how yours works, or is it the opposite of what I just wrote? I think it's just poor choices of wording....

Dyaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Yup. It acts exactly as you describe. I guess it's just poor wording on their part or poor interpretation on my part (maybe both). Thanks for your quick reply.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Any time. :)

I think you'll find that, for whatever reason, apps in general on MacOS do not use the function keys for shortcuts. I use shortcuts heavily on both Windows and Mac, and I can't think of a single time when I've ever used an app-specific keyboard shortcut on MacOS that involved the function keys. It is a little annoying, cuz when I first got my Mac, I kept hitting alt-f4 and ctrl-f4, and now I keep hitting ctrl-w and ctrl-q on my work PC, but yeah... it'll end up being a non-issue after a while, unless you go and define macros on those keys yourself.

tobio

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
London
on the 12" powerbook (non backlit keyboard) the F8-F10 keys are "ordinary" keys, therefore you can do exposé easily without changing any settings. When I got my 15" powerbook, by default i had to hold down fn to do the F9 and F10 keys, F11 is fine.

I experimented with different settings for a while, like moving the F9 and F11 keys over to F11 and F12, but i could not get comfortable with using exposé that way, so i ended up doing that "inverted function" thing that you mentioned. Now when I want to turn up/down the brightness and volume I hold fn but that's not so bad. It also means that when you do have to hit F<something> in a new application I don't end up hitting the key a few times and wondering why it doesn't do what I expect until I remember to hold down the fn key and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.