Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelhackney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Hello all!

I'm looking for a way to choose my iPhone, as an AirPlay audio source in system prefs on my mac, and stream all system sound to it. There used to be a jailbreak airplay server app that would allow for this - there even used to be an streaming app (both mac os/windows/iOS) that allowed for this before AirPlay was a thing.

Does anyone know of an app, jailbroken or not, that will allow for me to choose it as an audio source on my mac?

Usage would be - say I have my phone plugged into the sound system at the Cafe I work, and my computer plugged into the TV, and want to pipe the music thru the whole store. I don't care about latency, I just think this should be a thing that should be possible... But I cannot find anything out there to accomplish this.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello all!

I'm looking for a way to choose my iPhone, as an AirPlay audio source in system prefs on my mac, and stream all system sound to it. There used to be a jailbreak airplay server app that would allow for this - there even used to be an streaming app (both mac os/windows/iOS) that allowed for this before AirPlay was a thing.

Does anyone know of an app, jailbroken or not, that will allow for me to choose it as an audio source on my mac?

Usage would be - say I have my phone plugged into the sound system at the Cafe I work, and my computer plugged into the TV, and want to pipe the music thru the whole store. I don't care about latency, I just think this should be a thing that should be possible... But I cannot find anything out there to accomplish this.

This sounds horribly backwards.

Is there a reason you couldn't simply get an Apple TV instead, and stream your music from your iOS device to it directly?

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
It would be easier to plug your laptop into the sound system and then control the music through the remote App on your iPhone. Would only work with music in your iTunes library though.

OutOfTheBubble

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
It would be easier to plug your laptop into the sound system and then control the music through the remote App on your iPhone. Would only work with music in your iTunes library though.
No it wouldn't because the idea is to have an easy permanent setup that you just call on when you need it, like any other AirPlay device. Not to mention some of us have full size homes not just dorm rooms or single room setups, not an accusation in any way, just isn't always something people consider on a thread like this. Lastly some of us have already dropped hundreds of dollars on airports and apple tv's, also considering the multiple old iPads and iPhones that work fine but serve no purpose. This is about putting old devices to use as AirPlay recievers so we don't have to waste more money on apples buggy and under supported Aiplay devices.

But to answer the original posters question. NO there is not currently a way to do this. Ever since apple started encryption of AirPlay there's has been no support for this. On purpose of course, because nobody is going to buy a new AirPlay stereo when an old iPhone can turn and old stereo into a AirPlay supported stereo. So why would they support this? Right?

If I'm wrong, please, try and explain, I'd love to hear any other reason.

Finally, unless you go back to an older iOS on your device and then jailbreak it, there's not likely to be a stable version of one of the old apps that used to support this feature like AirFoil or AirView as most apple protocol are too different now tha they would like cause buggy compatibility issues.

If anyone can prove me wrong I would very much like that, please teach me a lesson.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
No it wouldn't because the idea is to have an easy permanent setup that you just call on when you need it, like any other AirPlay device. Not to mention some of us have full size homes not just dorm rooms or single room setups, not an accusation in any way, just isn't always something people consider on a thread like this. Lastly some of us have already dropped hundreds of dollars on airports and apple tv's, also considering the multiple old iPads and iPhones that work fine but serve no purpose. This is about putting old devices to use as AirPlay recievers so we don't have to waste more money on apples buggy and under supported Aiplay devices...
I was referring to the OP's setup in his Cafe.
As you agreed there is currently no way to do what he wants with the equipment he has, I offered an alternative that would work in his situation. No need to shoot me down!

OutOfTheBubble

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I was referring to the OP's setup in his Cafe.
As you agreed there is currently no way to do what he wants with the equipment he has, I offered an alternative that would work in his situation. No need to shoot me down!
Not an intention to shoot you down, I just felt like the original post was missing most of the real questions and problems associated with this issue. Meaning anyone with advanced knowledge on this subject wouldn't necessarily see the intent of the users with this idea in mind.

Anyway, like I said, not trying to shoot you down, I can completely understand your response based on the original question as it lacked the details of intent a bit.

Reactions: Recognition

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2015
Hello all!

One work around would be to use something like splashtop 2 Remote Desktop which for free will work over local network only. Audio and screen sharing supported. On a decent connection audio quality should be acceptable. Am going to try this method tonight. [edit] works well! One tip to improve audio quality is to set the computer volume (in my case a 2009 MacBook Pro) very low and that will reduce distortions to negligible. Setup is currently a iPhone 4 running iOS 7 docked to a Panasonic SA-PM500 stereo, vlc running on Mac for audio player. QuickTime will not output audio through splashtop streamer. May run teamviewer via LAN from another iPhone to act as remote, or use vlc remote. iTunes will also output through splashtop.

Last edited:

andreyirra

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Mexico
Have you tried Tango Remote. It has not been updated but it seems to do what you want. It's also on the expensive side. It's in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.