Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JanLiptak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2023
Hi,
I use an iPhone 14 and Airpods Pro 2. I would like to buy an iPad mini. Is it possible to make it so that if I have an iPad with me, it will stream to the Airpods from iPad, but the iPhone can be used to control Apple music? Apple music easily drains 10-15% of my battery when listening for a long time, I would like the iPad to drain, not iPhone, but I don't want to take it out of my bag or backpack to change the playlist or songs.

Thank you.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You can stream to HPs from either Apple device.

If you are using Apple Music or now YouTube Music for source, HPs can play those directly- no need to stream from phone or iPad. With HPs plugged into house power, there should be no iDevice draining if used in this way.

To change playlist or songs, you can have Siri do that with voice commands to HPs.

If you have a Mac, you could stream your music from Mac to HPs, control playlists or songs on that Mac... or again with Siri commands.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You can stream to HPs from either Apple device.

If you are using Apple Music or now YouTube Music for source, HPs can play those directly- no need to stream from phone or iPad. With HPs plugged into house power, there should be no iDevice draining if used in this way.

To change playlist or songs, you can have Siri do that with voice commands to HPs.

If you have a Mac, you could stream your music from Mac to HPs, control playlists or songs on that Mac... or again with Siri commands.
I think the OP is talking about AirPods, not HomePods.

However, I believe the answer to his question is no. I don't believe one can use the iPhone as a remote control to operate Apple Music on the iPad. However, with AirPods, you should be able to use Siri to change tracks/playlists on the iPad without having to route through your phone.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.