Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starscream4xeM238

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
Hello, is it possible to have the phone speaker on to hear sound while using my airpods for my mic?

I just recently picked up some Airpods and while they are great, it created a side issue for my work calls. Working from home, I've been just using the iphone speaker for my meetings, so good sound and then i'd have to yell a bit to speak into the mic as its sitting on the desk.
So I got the Airpods thinking that was the best solution, however now what's happening is that everyone in the house doesn't hear sound coming from the phone so they think I'm not working or at least doing something that can be interrupted with the occasional "can you take out the trash", "can you put away the clothes", "I'm going for a walk", "what do you want to eat for lunch", "dad, brother hit me again" and so on. And I'm mostly on calls but since no one hears it, they think I'm on a break and can be interrupted. So I've stopped using the airpods and back to using speakerphone and immediately got reduced interruptions.

Would love to be able to leverage the airpod mic while using the phones speakerphone. Possible?

Before you say just lock the door, I've tried that but since they don't hear voices, they knock and start asking their questions behind the door, making me get up and unlock the door and have to explain I'm on a call.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Not possible.
Just talk to your folks/hang a sign on the door/install an “On Air” light or whatever.
But you can’t use your phone as a speaker and your AirPods as a mic.
What iPhone are you using? Have you ever cleaned the mic? Maybe that’ll better the quality.

Starscream4xeM238

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
Not possible.
Just talk to your folks/hang a sign on the door/install an “On Air” light or whatever.
But you can’t use your phone as a speaker and your AirPods as a mic.
What iPhone are you using? Have you ever cleaned the mic? Maybe that’ll better the quality.
iphone 13 pro max. It's not about the mic quality, it's that I have the phone on a phone stand on the desk, so it can pick up background noise if I'm not holding it near my face.

OK thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.