Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
How do I wake my iPad Air 5 completely from a screen off state just by resting my finger on the sensor? I'm used to most phones doing it that way. If it's not possible seems like an unnecessary extra step to have to also press the button or first tap the screen. iPad's don't seem to have Raise To Wake either.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You can “Tap to wake” your iPad screen anywhere when it is off, the screen will light up and then you can just rest your finger on the power button (without having to press it) to trigger the TouchID.

A4F133FD-F2A8-4E69-A586-AD2986585AA4.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
You can “Tap to wake” your iPad screen anywhere when it is off, the screen will light up and then you can just rest your finger on the power button (without having to press it) to trigger the TouchID.

But why does Apple insist on the extra step? Surely keeping the fingerprint sensor on would be sufficient?

I have turned off Tap To Wake because it's affecting battery life quite a lot.

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
But why does Apple insist on the extra step? Surely keeping the fingerprint sensor on would be sufficient?

I have turned off Tap To Wake because it's affecting battery life quite a lot.

Well, you will have to ask Apple this question directly. ;)

Reactions: d.o.p. and F27

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
That's ridiculous, every Android device on the planet allows you to fingerprint unlock WITHOUT actually pressing the button! It becomes a chore really quick especially as iPad buttons are quite stiff.

The TouchID button is a notoriously unreliable component and if it breaks its going to be an costly replacement as it's keyed to the motherboard so using it sparingly is a good idea.

Guess I will have to leave 'Tap To Wake' on (which stupidly THEN lets you rest your finger on the TouchID to unlock!) and take the battery hit.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m surprised, Tap to Wake is a battery hog? This is the first time I hear that, I certainly haven’t experienced it either. Tap to wake is enabled on my iPhone and iPad. Battery life is amazing.

Last edited:

F27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
I’m surprised, Tap to Wake is a battery hog? This is the first time I hear that, certainly I havent experienced it either. Tap to wake is enabled on my iPhone and iPad. Battery life is amazing.
It's constantly mentioned all over the internet even on this forum. Goes without saying as the whole screens touch panel has to be kept constantly active, it might be less of a problem on iPhone just because of the smaller size.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It's constantly mentioned all over the internet even on this forum. Goes without saying as the whole screens touch panel has to be kept constantly active, it might be less of a problem on iPhone just because of the smaller size.
Do you have any proof for your claims?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.