Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I have an opportunity to buy a cellular iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) that is activated and locked to the AT&T network. I am on Verizon, and my old cellular iPad Pro has a Verizon sim (activated). If I were to buy the AT&T iPad, could I just pop in my Verizon SIM card and the AT&T iPad would work on Verizon? I have searched the web and can’t seem to find a straight answer on this. Thanks for any info...

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I'm using an AT&T iPad Pro 10.5 with Verizon and works fine. Never had to request to unlock it. Not sure why yours is locked. I thought they stopped locking them.

Reactions: sirrdeezy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm using an AT&T iPad Pro 10.5 with Verizon and works fine. Never had to request to unlock it. Not sure why yours is locked. I thought they stopped locking them.
I don't think US carriers ever locked iPads in the first place. I've got an AT&T iPad 4 (circa 2012?) and AT&T iPad Pro 12.9 and they work with any SIM. Well, iPad 4 is GSM only so no Verizon but T-Mobile works.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I don't think US carriers ever locked iPads in the first place. I've got an AT&T iPad 4 (circa 2012?) and AT&T iPad Pro 12.9 and they work with any SIM. Well, iPad 4 is GSM only so no Verizon but T-Mobile works.
Att locks the e-sim in the iPads.
iPads supported CDMA and GSM, solely based on the sim not the hardware

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Att locks the e-sim in the iPads.
iPads supported CDMA and GSM, solely based on the sim not the hardware
The e-sim, yes, but not the physical SIM card slot. Given a lot of carriers don't support e-sim, I consider the latter more important.

It wasn't until the iPad Air that Apple started using universal hardware for the iPad. Prior to that, they actually did have different versions for GSM and CDMA. The Verizon iPad 3&4 could work with GSM carriers (3G speeds only for AT&T). Alas, the AT&T iPad 3&4 which have different LTE bands than Verizon and don't have CDMA won't work with Verizon at all.

Needless to say, the iPad 2 had GSM-only and CDMA-only versions.

Reactions: bruinsrme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.