Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
So this no-sim-card-tray thing bothers me.

I don't want to get a phone, pay an activation fee, be able to not use it (because of PWM or the other crap that's kept me from every Apple OLED phone), then have to pay my carrier again to go back to my 11.

(In the past, I switch the SIM card to try it out. Also sometimes I've just liked switching up phones.)

Question: Can I get the new 14PM and just not activate it right away? Just use it on wifi for a bit to see what I think? ...I can do that, right?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You can activate the phone without a sim card and just use wifi.

Also it depends on how you purchase. If I purchase the iphone as sim free (now called "Connect your carriar later) and decide to put it on my carrier, there is no activation fee. Now if you choose the carrier model and choose full price that way then yes there is activation fee.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 2.41.16 PM.png

Reactions: happy orchard

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
You can activate the phone without a sim card and just use wifi.

Also it depends on how you purchase. If I purchase the iphone as sim free (now called "Connect your carriar later) and decide to put it on my carrier, there is no activation fee. Now if you choose the carrier model and choose full price that way then yes there is activation fee.

View attachment 2052638
You're a bright spot in my day. :) Thank you!

For years, I've bought the sim-free/unlocked/connect any carrier later, so that works.

Now I just need to learn if Verizon charges for switching e-sims from one phone to another.

Until then, good to know I can try on wifi.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You're a bright spot in my day. :) Thank you!

For years, I've bought the sim-free/unlocked/connect any carrier later, so that works.

Now I just need to learn if Verizon charges for switching e-sims from one phone to another.

Until then, good to know I can try on wifi.
Hey. I'm on verizon as well and they do not charge for switching e-sims from one phone to another. I've had to do it for my wife as i bought her the sim free model full price and activated e-sim and there weren't any activation fee on my bill.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Hey. I'm on verizon as well and they do not charge for switching e-sims from one phone to another. I've had to do it for my wife as i bought her the sim free model full price and activated e-sim and there weren't any activation fee on my bill.
Dude, now you're an even brighter spot in my day!

1. Did they charge for the initial change from sim to e-sim?
2. How was the process of switching e-sims?
3. Yay!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Dude, now you're an even brighter spot in my day!

1. Did they charge for the initial change from sim to e-sim?
2. How was the process of switching e-sims?
3. Yay!
1. No I was not charge any activation fee in switching so.
2. It was easy, I went to my verizon account, then My device > activate new device or switch account > Activate on existing line from there you enter your IMEI2 and follow instructions from there.
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.05.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.05.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 8.05.54 PM.png
    541 KB · Views: 75

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Thank you, Shadowbech! Appreciate your effort, including the screenshot and step-by-step instructions. :)

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
1. No I was not charge any activation fee in switching so.
2. It was easy, I went to my verizon account, then My device > activate new device or switch account > Activate on existing line from there you enter your IMEI2 and follow instructions from there. View attachment 2053095

Yep. Just FYI Verizon makes it almost impossible to this on the app. Do yourself a favor and do it on your desktop. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.