Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigG94

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
My four-year old Samsung tablet is getting hinky, as Androids tend to do after a few years. Resetting hasn't cured the hinkiness.

I'm interested in replacing it with an iPad.

My wife is in the same boat with her Samsung tablet; I got her a 6th gen 9.7 when Wally World was running 128 gigs for $299 a while back. But I've been holding off getting something for myself.

I'm interested in either a used 9.7 Pro, which I can get for roughly $250 or so used (256 gigs); or the 9.7 6th gen; 128 gigs are back up to $329 at Wally although I'm sure we're going to see some available for good prices in the next little bit.

The reason I'm interested in the used 9.7 Pro is that the TrueTone and the four speakers on it are giving me more of a tingle than the one generation advanced processor on the 6th gen.

I keep a tablet just for reading books, surfing the web and YouTube, streaming TV and music, some news apps, no high-CPU or high intensity gaming at all (have neither time nor inclination). I am increasingly moving such things to my 11-month-old XR, and the fact that I'm still paying on it precludes me from spending a mint on this. (Mini 5 is attractive, but don't want to spend the cash right now.)

I'd like to keep this tablet for 3 years.

So what would you do: Used 9.7 Pro or new 9.7 6th gen? Just looking for input. Thanks!

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Very little difference in the chips, as it’s the more powerful X version of the 9 vs the regular 10. They have the same RAM which would make me lean to the Pro for better speakers, especially if you can get it for less than the 6th gen.

The 2GB RAM will be an increasing issue over 3 years. Perhaps see the price of the Mini/7th Gen (both 3GB) over Black Friday. The Mini has the far better processor with an A12, but you may prefer a bigger screen for streaming.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
My four-year old Samsung tablet is getting hinky, as Androids tend to do after a few years. Resetting hasn't cured the hinkiness.

I'm interested in replacing it with an iPad.

My wife is in the same boat with her Samsung tablet; I got her a 6th gen 9.7 when Wally World was running 128 gigs for $299 a while back. But I've been holding off getting something for myself.

I'm interested in either a used 9.7 Pro, which I can get for roughly $250 or so used (256 gigs); or the 9.7 6th gen; 128 gigs are back up to $329 at Wally although I'm sure we're going to see some available for good prices in the next little bit.

The reason I'm interested in the used 9.7 Pro is that the TrueTone and the four speakers on it are giving me more of a tingle than the one generation advanced processor on the 6th gen.

I keep a tablet just for reading books, surfing the web and YouTube, streaming TV and music, some news apps, no high-CPU or high intensity gaming at all (have neither time nor inclination). I am increasingly moving such things to my 11-month-old XR, and the fact that I'm still paying on it precludes me from spending a mint on this. (Mini 5 is attractive, but don't want to spend the cash right now.)

I'd like to keep this tablet for 3 years.

So what would you do: Used 9.7 Pro or new 9.7 6th gen? Just looking for input. Thanks!
Get a used 9.7 inch iPad Pro.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally, I'd rather get the iPad 7th gen 128GB with Apple A10 and 3GB RAM for $329 on Black Friday.

Performance on the Pro 9.7 is still good but the battery's gotten quite wonky on mine (purchased March 2016, heavy 8-12 hours daily use) so I'd be very wary of buying used.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Given how long OP has shown that he keeps devices I can’t help but wonder how much more he would have to pay to get a base model 2019 iPad in the desired capacity and if there’s better value in that purchase. Somehow for me it just doesn’t sit well to be replacing 4 year old tech with 2+ year old tech and expecting that replacement to extend out another 3 or 4 years.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Given how long OP has shown that he keeps devices I can’t help but wonder how much more he would have to pay to get a base model 2019 iPad in the desired capacity and if there’s better value in that purchase. Somehow for me it just doesn’t sit well to be replacing 4 year old tech with 2+ year old tech and expecting that replacement to extend out another 3 or 4 years.
To be fair, the chipset used in the base 2019 iPad is 3 years old. Primary advantage is 3GB RAM.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
To be fair, the chipset used in the base 2019 iPad is 3 years old. Primary advantage is 3GB RAM.

Thanks, so then it comes down to the added RAM, larger screen size, having the warranty coverage and knowing that the unit is brand new today. I can see why OP is looking at the 6th gen if the cost seems too high for him.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks, so then it comes down to the added RAM, larger screen size, having the warranty coverage and knowing that the unit is brand new today. I can see why OP is looking at the 6th gen if the cost seems too high for him.
With upcoming BF sales, the 7th gen shouldn't cost much more than brand new 6th gen.

Best Buy had BF preview sale dropping the 7th gen wi-fi down to $250/32GB and $330/128GB. Wouldn't be surprised if some retailers go even lower and discount the 128GB for $300.

For fresh battery, warranty and RAM, I think it's worth spending a little extra on 7th gen.

BigG94

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012

Main issue with 2019 model is size. I don't want a 10-inch tablet. I've played with a 2019 base and I find the extra half inch from the 9.7 model unwieldy.

My Samsung is 8.4 inches which to me is the sweet spot of a tablet for what I use it for; honestly if I want something bigger I just pull out the Chromebook or laptop.

But of course nobody is making those anymore because the market has spoken and people want bigger. If I got new technology I'd bite the bullet and get the mini, but in a way I'm concerned about going down from 8.4 to 7.9 with that although it's actually a little wider than the Android so it wouldn't be that much of an adjustment.

I do hold onto my tech stuff and don't have to have the newest and most bell and whistle full. The XR is the first new cellphone I've bought (I came from Android there too, never going back) and my goal is to get 4 years, maybe even 5 out of it before I upgrade.

And the XR is probably my top end as far as phone size, so my mindset at not wanting a 10-inch tablet should be pretty consistent.
[automerge]1574018383[/automerge]
Personally, I'd rather get the iPad 7th gen 128GB with Apple A10 and 3GB RAM for $329 on Black Friday.

Performance on the Pro 9.7 is still good but the battery's gotten quite wonky on mine (purchased March 2016, heavy 8-12 hours daily use) so I'd be very wary of buying used.

Battery is a concern for me although I don't hammer my tablet anywhere close to that usage.

As noted, just considering options and seeking input.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Man the 9.7 pro is a much better buy for you. Remember that it’s lighter than the 2018 ipad, it’s actually the lightest pro ever made... and it’s thinner (feels better in the hand), has a laminated display (this is important if you use the pencil, otherwise it’s not a big deal), has an antireflectif coating (the difference in screen reflections is huge), has true tone, has a keyboard connector (in case you find a cheap smart keyboard used), and the speakers are night and day, it also has a much batter camera with flash (but you may not care about the camera).
As for speed, it’s very similar, it’s hard to tell between A9X and A10, A10 is slightly faster in CPU and slower in GPU performance.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

BigG94

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
^#%^#@^*% got nosed out at literally the very last second on eBay for a mint 9.7 Pro with a mint Apple smart keyboard that went for $275. ?

I'm going to keep looking at the 9.7 Pro option while keeping an eye on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Reactions: foreteller

BigG94

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I'm reviving this thread with one more tripartite question.

How long will I get OS updates on a First Gen 9.7 Pro?

How long will I get OS updates on a Sixth or Seventh Gen regular iPad?

How long will I get OS updates on a new Air?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm reviving this thread with one more tripartite question.

How long will I get OS updates on a First Gen 9.7 Pro?
* Likely at least 2 more years.

How long will I get OS updates on a Sixth or Seventh Gen regular iPad?
* Likely at least 2 more years on both. Whether 7th gen gets longer support depends on how RAM hungry future iOS versions will be and if Apple will be employing techniques to mitigate (e.g. pagefile on NAND).

How long will I get OS updates on a new Air?
* Likely at least 4 years. Probably longer.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
iPad OS is supported on any iPad with an A8 or later. Usually a generation is dropped per year, though a handful of releases don’t drop anything.

The 1st Gen Pro has a A9X, but only 2GB RAM (all other Pros have 4GB or more.) I think it’ll probably go in 2 years at the same time as the A10 (there is very little between them,) but it may go with the A9 a year earlier due to the lower RAM vs the 12.9” variant.

6th or 7th Gen have A10, the 6th Gen with 2GB RAM and the 7th Gen has 3GB. The 3GB should get an extra year or more in the same way as the dropping of the A8 was done on RAM (1GB has gone, 2GB still supported.)

A new Air has the A12. Minimum 4 years, probably 5. The longer the A10 based devices go, the better for the A12.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
iPad OS is supported on any iPad with an A8 or later. Usually a generation is dropped per year, though a handful of releases don’t drop anything.

The 1st Gen Pro has a A9X, but only 2GB RAM (all other Pros have 4GB or more.) I think it’ll probably go in 2 years at the same time as the A10 (there is very little between them,) but it may go with the A9 a year earlier due to the lower RAM vs the 12.9” variant.

6th or 7th Gen have A10, the 6th Gen with 2GB RAM and the 7th Gen has 3GB. The 3GB should get an extra year or more in the same way as the dropping of the A8 was done on RAM (1GB has gone, 2GB still supported.)

A new Air has the A12. Minimum 4 years, probably 5. The longer the A10 based devices go, the better for the A12.

In many ways the A9X wins over the A10. I would rather buy the Pro. Those 4 speakers are so much better. Then the laminated display and lighter in weight.

Reactions: Digitalguy

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
I have an 9.7 pro I got used actually got 2 of them with cellular, one for me and one for my boyfriend, and we love them. We don’t touch our laptops at all anymore and use our iPads for the entire day off and on from about 4:30 am until maybe 9 or 10 pm and always have at least 20% battery left. The stereo speakers and display rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.