Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Used SS S5 vs New aluminum S6?

• Used Stainless Steel Series 5

• New Aluminum Series 6

Results are only viewable after voting.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
As the title says,

I’m on the market for an Apple Watch after years ago gave up on series 0 and going back to my mechanicals.

I was thinking to get the cheapest I could since I only care about the ability to unlock my iPhone while wearing a mask on the next iOS 14.5 updates. But the AW3 older design and hardware might not holding long enough before I need to upgrade. So was going straight for an aluminum S6 because the AOD also interesting for me. The SE wasn’t in my consideration because the price gap is worth paying for the AOD and newer SoC.

I also found a used SS S5 with cellular on sale with similar price as the new aluminum S6.
Being a mechanical watches collector, I imagine I will appreciate the looks and feels of a SS case. Also the sapphire glass would let me use it without worrying for scratches too much. I hate screen protectors on AW.

Should I go for the used SS S5?
What are the things I should be checking? Battery health and other possible issues?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
If you’re located in the US, Best Buy is clearing out brand new SS S5 watches for $400-$450 depending on size and color. That puts them right around the price of a new base model S6. If you don’t care about health features, the SS S5 is definitely the better choice. It looks better and the sapphire crystal screen is much more durable.

Reactions: macdogpro

tonileung

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Hong Kong
I just upgraded to a S5SS from S3 aluminum. The upgrade reminds me of the time when I got my mechanical watch and now I really enjoy looking and feeling the S5SS. There were quite a number of watch faces that I couldn’t use with S3, which are actually very nice to make the watch looks further gorgeous.

The aluminum version would be totally fine to serve the function to unlock the iPhone while on mask with the upcoming iOS 14.5 (I am very much waiting for it too). The SS certainly add a lot of beauty and you will be happy with the sapphire glass.

I was also considering the blue S6 alu before I found a good deal to get my S5. The blue color S6 is nice. But personally I don’t really need the extras from S6. Now I don’t have any regret and am enjoying every moment with my S5.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I just upgraded to a S5SS from S3 aluminum. The upgrade reminds me of the time when I got my mechanical watch and now I really enjoy looking and feeling the S5SS. There were quite a number of watch faces that I couldn’t use with S3, which are actually very nice to make the watch looks further gorgeous.

The aluminum version would be totally fine to serve the function to unlock the iPhone while on mask with the upcoming iOS 14.5 (I am very much waiting for it too). The SS certainly add a lot of beauty and you will be happy with the sapphire glass.

I was also considering the blue S6 alu before I found a good deal to get my S5. The blue color S6 is nice. But personally I don’t really need the extras from S6. Now I don’t have any regret and am enjoying every moment with my S5.

Which color did you get for your SS S5?
I always like silver SS for mechanical watches, but find the used item in black. And kinda think black SS also looks cooler on Apple Watch.

tonileung

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Hong Kong
Mine is silver. Yes for mechanical watches I agree silver SS is great. For Apple Watch all the 3 SS models are nice and probably up to personal taste. Silver is more eye-catching and black is surely cool (I was having the black S3 and wanted the next one with more different appearance, otherwise I may prefer the black one too)

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I have a Series 6 but I would recommend a SS Series 5 over an aluminum Series 6. The case material is personal preference but the sapphire screen is awesome.

Plus, this year was the tiniest improvement ever over the previous year.
Yes, it is insignificant upgrade for the 2020 series 6.
I wonder if this year they’ll come up with new design for series 7? As they‘ve done it after the third series. Rumors has been slow these days.
But’ll be too long for me to wait for September. The passcode punching while wearing mask really annoys me.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Turns out the battery health is at 86% already. Should I pull the trigger? ?

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Turns out the battery health is at 86% already. Should I pull the trigger? ?
It’s quite low actually for a one and a half years old device. Apple recommends to replace the battery below 80 % and you start to feeling that the device doesn’t last as much as before at that percentage.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
It’s quite low actually for a one and a half years old device. Apple recommends to replace the battery below 80 % and you start to feeling that the device doesn’t last as much as before at that percentage.

Yeah going to skip this one. Probably going to get a used aluminum s5 with 100% battery health, 4 months old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.