Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conversioncopywriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2023
Hello all, and thanks for taking the time to read my first thread.

I am currently looking for a new MacBook Pro, and would like some input on my options.

I pre-ordered the new 16in M3 PRO MBP with 18GB of RAM, 512GB SSD in black ($2500, top of my budget), but just saw a post on marketplace for a used 16in M1 MAX MBP, 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD model for only $1900 listed in my area. Barely used (25 charge cycles) and in like new condition.

My use case is mostly writing/office work, with occasional photo & video editing. I currently have a base M2 air and am looking for a little more horsepower (slows down due to multiple programs and extensive tabs being open for research). Edit: current machine is 8GB version.

I'm trying to compare the variables of used vs new: the M1 is now 2 years old and will be supported for less time, and it always has the potential to have unforeseen issues; however, it offers more storage and more RAM, even though I'm not sure I need it. Plus, that new M3 MacBook Pro's black color sure is sexy, lol

I'd appreciate some help on this decision!

Thanks,

-CCW

Last edited:

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Full reviews and extensive benchmarks for the M3 Pro will be out within ~12 hours, so why not wait and see how the M3 Pro performs for your use case? Also, assuming you ordered from Apple, holiday returns are now in effect so you could take delivery, evaluate for yourself and then make an informed decision.

That said, it's already very clear that the M1 Max is a great alternative to the M3 Pro, particularly if you are on a budget. You can get more ram, more storage, more memory bandwidth, (most likely) a more performant GPU (albeit without hardware RT, mesh shading and Dynamic Caching,) and good CPU performance for far less money than an M3 Pro.

However, rather than buying used, I would suggest you wait for another sale from a retailer like BH/Adorama/etc (if you are in the US.) They just had a 14" M1 Max 64GB/2TB on sale for $2199, which is a way better deal than the used machine you listed (albeit with a smaller screen.) I'm sure there will also be similarly good sales on the 16" if that is what you have your heart set on.

$1900 for a two year old machine from someone you don't know, particularly if it doesn't have AppleCare, is not an amazing deal IMHO. 25 battery cycles doesn't mean anything. The laptop could've spent its entire life plugged in, in which case the battery will actually be a lot more degraded than you might think.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

So you have 3 different generations and SKUs in the mix
- M1 Max: the highest SKU but earliest gen
- M2: the entry level SKU but middle gen
- M3 Pro: the middle SKU and newest gen

Your current workflow is slowing down to lack of RAM, and you didn’t state how much you currently have. If you’re at 16GB and experiencing delays, the M3 Pro at 18GB is not going to help much, at which point the Max is likely to be the better fit.

The Max will be the slowest for most tasks due to its slower single thread score and the fact that your workflow isn’t heavily multi-threaded, but its RAM will allow you to keep the most open, addressing your current issues.

If the Max were from Apple, I’d likely go for that. However, I personally don’t deal with any marketplace/independent sellers (I personally find it to be too much hassle/risk), but if you’re comfortable with that then it’s likely your best bet.

conversioncopywriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2023
Full reviews and extensive benchmarks for the M3 Pro will be out within ~12 hours, so why not wait and see how the M3 Pro performs for your use case? Also, assuming you ordered from Apple, holiday returns are now in effect so you could take delivery, evaluate for yourself and then make an informed decision.

That said, it's already very clear that the M1 Max is a great alternative to the M3 Pro, particularly if you are on a budget. You can get more ram, more storage, more memory bandwidth, (most likely) a more performant GPU (albeit without hardware RT, mesh shading and Dynamic Caching,) and good CPU performance for far less money than an M3 Pro.

However, rather than buying used, I would suggest you wait for another sale from a retailer like BH/Adorama/etc (if you are in the US.) They just had a 14" M1 Max 64GB/2TB on sale for $2199, which is a way better deal than the used machine you listed (albeit with a smaller screen.) I'm sure there will also be similarly good sales on the 16" if that is what you have your heart set on.

$1900 for a two year old machine from someone you don't know, particularly if it doesn't have AppleCare, is not an amazing deal IMHO. 25 battery cycles doesn't mean anything. The laptop could've spent its entire life plugged in, in which case the battery will actually be a lot more degraded than you might think.
Thanks for the extensive reply! I didn't know about the holiday return policy, that's really good to know. Also good point regarding cycle count, didn't think of that. Sounds like this used unit may not be the best option, & I will look at the sites you listed!

Reactions: Malus120

conversioncopywriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2023
Hello!

Your current workflow is slowing down to lack of RAM, and you didn’t state how much you currently have. If you’re at 16GB and experiencing delays, the M3 Pro at 18GB is not going to help much, at which point the Max is likely to be the better fit.

The Max will be the slowest for most tasks due to its slower single thread score and the fact that your workflow isn’t heavily multi-threaded, but its RAM will allow you to keep the most open, addressing your current issues.

If the Max were from Apple, I’d likely go for that. However, I personally don’t deal with any marketplace/independent sellers (I personally find it to be too much hassle/risk), but if you’re comfortable with that then it’s likely your best bet.
Hi Rnd, thanks for the reply!

My current machine is the 8GB version, which I bought as an entry back into Mac OS from my previous PC laptop. I must say that this system runs quite well for how little memory it has, but I do notice little slowdowns when switching apps, + stuttering animation sequences when swiping between desktops. Swap usage hovers around 3-4GB average.

It seems that there are so many different opinions on RAM. Some say to upgrade to 32GB to future proof, and others have published tests that show little to no benefit of upgrading as the processor becomes the bottleneck (I am referring to MaxTech's video on M2). Where do you stand on this topic? In the end I just want my machine to function smoothly, and I'm thinking 18GB should be enough, but would love your input.

Noted on third party sellers. I feel similarly. Multi-thousand dollar tech purchases and strangers don't make me the most comfortable either, so will likely not follow through with that option 😆

Also, thanks for info on the MAX single threaded performance, that makes sense!

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hello!

The OP has a base model M2 MBA with 8GB RAM, as stated in his first post. It seems like that is the problem with his given usage patterns. So anything with 16GB or more will likely alleviate that issue, and the used M1 Max with 32 GB is obviously the one with the most RAM of all those choices listed.
Tough decision. I have 16GB on my M2 MBA and I have never seen any slowdowns or Swapping at all. Given I don't push the machine much.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Hi Rnd, thanks for the reply!
Glad to help!

If the extra $600 doesn't bother you (and I'm guessing it doesn't since you already spent it 😉), I'd stick with the M3 Pro and 18GB. Here's why:
- 18GB of RAM is enough for the vast majority of folks. Unless you're compiling large projects, hosting VMs, or engaging in some other heavy workflows that you haven't listed, you'll be absolutely fine. And yes, macOS is great at handling swap. I'd just recommend using a good adblocker (I like 1Blocker, which works on macOS, iPadOS, and iOS) and Safari to avoid your browser gobbling up all your RAM.
- M3 chips will have the fastest single core performance, which you may notice day to day. Plus, their faster neural core performance will continue to pay dividends as Apple and others embed more AI in their software.
- you like the new black. 😁 Sometimes those pesky emotional desires are hard to ignore and, fortunately, this one works out well for you since it happens to come with the more appropriate machine.

Plus, you're not excited about dealing with a third party seller, and understandably so. This way you're also guaranteed a functioning machine with a 1 year warranty (I personally always opt for perpetual AppleCare+) and don't have to worry about any reseller shenanigans.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
If his memory pressure is high enough to warrant 32GB where the 18GB can still choke, I doubt he could have gotten much if anything done on that M2 with 8GB. That MBA would have been on its knees.

The M1 Max has both the CPU single and multi core beat vs the M3 Pro. Graphics performance we don't know yet, that one guy who posted the Geekbench score of his M3 Pro 14" didn't bother to do compute tests. But judging from numbers of the M3 Max binned where it only slightly edges the M1 Max, I think the M3 Pro will be quite far behind both.

If I were OP I would stick with the M3 Pro. His usage doesn't sound like he really demands that much, it was just the M2 base happens to sit at a bottleneck for his case. These 2 chips are also released 2 years apart, meaning you can expect 2 more years of support on the M3 Pro.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The laptop could've spent its entire life plugged in, in which case the battery will actually be a lot more degraded than you might think.
I believe the OS starts keeping it at 80% when it's plugged in all the time.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
As someone whose MBP spends the vast majority of the time plugged in:
1. macOS's battery management behavior is VERY inconsistent in this regard and honestly just doesn't work like this. (It'll keep my Mac fully charged for days then suddenly decide to keep it at 78~80% for a few hours, then back to 100%)
2. If you really want to keep it ~80% you need to install AlDente or something similar.
3. Even if it was optimally charged and kept at or around 80% for the majority of its life, assuming its been used for two years, there is still likely to be significant battery degradation vs a new/unused machine.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
If you enable battery optimization, yes. AFAIK, this is not enabled by default.

I use AlDente to keep it at 80% because as another poster mentioned, macOS battery optimization has a mind of its own, and doesn't put you in control. Maybe it's doing something really clever, but if it is, it's not well documented (at least on public web-sites)

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
$1900 is a not-unreasonable asking price..... Here's the three lowest prices I found for sold listings on EBay for that config:

1699258456689.png

But you should be able to do better. I found one on Craig's List with that config for $1,700 (which means they'd probably let it go for $1,600. [Ebay tends to be a bit more expensive than buying locally--plus you have to pay sales tax and shipping.]

1699258889469.png
1699258951229.png

However, wherever you buy it, the M1 is sufficiently recent that there should be used models available that still have AppleCare+ on them. I'd strongly recommend only getting one with that.

Also, while AC+ is transferrable, the transfer is tricky, requiring a call to Apple Support. Apple Support will then request the seller email them a copy of the sales receipt--even if the device was purchased directly from Apple! So be sure to have the seller complete the warranty transfer before you leave their house. Indeed, make it very clear before arriving at their house that this will be a requirement of the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
If you enable battery optimization, yes. AFAIK, this is not enabled by default.

I use AlDente to keep it at 80% because as another poster mentioned, macOS battery optimization has a mind of its own, and doesn't put you in control. Maybe it's doing something really clever, but if it is, it's not well documented (at least on public web-sites)

FYI, my M1 Max bought new in December 2021 reports 90 cycles and 94% of maximum capacity, which is a little bit disappointing given the usage of AlDente...so maybe the macOS solution is better after all!?

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
FYI, my M1 Max bought new in December 2021 reports 90 cycles and 94% of maximum capacity, which is a little bit disappointing given the usage of AlDente...so maybe the macOS solution is better after all!?

The only disappointing factor is Apple battery quality.
I'm at 91% with 302 cycles and that's unacceptable.
My 2013 Macbook Air was still at 100% at this point.
No amount of software utilities will change that. Just use your battery and swap it when it's toast.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Here are some of the stats of ours:

MBP 14" M1 Pro base
81 cycles / 86.91%

MBP 16" M1 Pro 1TB
40 cycles / 87.99%

As you can see, both are plugged in most of the time. Not installing anything, just macOS default optimization setting.

On the other hand I got an iPhone X that still holds 80% after 1500 cycles.

Reactions: Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Here are some of the stats of ours:

MBP 14" M1 Pro base
81 cycles / 86.91%

MBP 16" M1 Pro 1TB
40 cycles / 87.99%

As you can see, both are plugged in most of the time. Not installing anything, just macOS default optimization setting.

On the other hand I got an iPhone X that still holds 80% after 1500 cycles.
Yikes...sounds like mine is actually doing quite well then!

At that rate, you would be under 80% well before 1000 cycles, which I understand is what Apple guarantees, so you could ask for a free battery replacement irrespective of whether you have AppleCare or not.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Yikes...sounds like mine is actually doing quite well then!

At that rate, you would be under 80% well before 1000 cycles, which I understand is what Apple guarantees, so you could ask for a free battery replacement irrespective of whether you have AppleCare or not.
I actually keep a chart for our MacBook battery health, and interestingly for modern Apple battery it is REALLY hard to get it down below 80% no matter how long.

That said none of these are very old. I had a 2011 Unibody MBP, those that you could still remove a single internal battery. That one had like 30% health after just 500 cycles lol.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 16.53.31.png

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Get M1Max, more than enough power for your workload, 32Gb RAM is better than more powerful chip with 18Gb. Photo editing aka Photoshop will easily make 18Gb machine swap.

Check battery state and SSD writes on purchase, just in case it's one of those MBPs with 250Tb written in a year (I've seen one). I think solely by these two numbers you'll be able to deduce how MBP was used.

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Quite good actually. Did you calibrate it every 8 days or it's mixed clamshell/laptop use?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Wow, what's the workload? Looks like battery was above optimal temps a lot.
Hardly anything. It is for our boss, at most he would be running Lightroom doing light edits. 99% of time he is on espn website checking live scores lol. But the MBP is permanently docked to a display, a 10GbE NIC, and USB to DSP speakers.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For 30% faster single core (and a new and better GPU) I’ll say go with the new M3 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.