Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beer barrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
They're about the same price off eBay - but the cylinder is so cool and can run Windows if needed.

Would you do it?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
They're about the same price off eBay - but the cylinder is so cool and can run Windows if needed.

Would you do it?
Two totally different computers.

I would put the trashcan Mac Pro into the novelty/toy category. It's probably a lot of fun but way overpriced for what you're getting. If you want to run Windows you can build or buy a PC much cheaper. If you want something to play around with, and you really don't need a computer for anything serious like work, then the trashcan Mac would be interesting. Just don't buy it for practical purposes in 2023. It's a decade old now.

The M2 Mac mini is a practical computer that will do pretty much every generic task you need. If you want a computer, that's going to work and continue receiving updates a long time in the future that's the choice I would go for.

Basically, you have to decide if you're looking for a cool toy or you need something more serious. If I had the extra cash around, I would probably by the trashcan Mac Pro because they look so cool

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Would you do it?

If you needed Windows, yes, but if not, I wouldn't do it. It's getting old and the machine has some bespoke parts like GPUs that are a risk if they go wrong. It is still beautiful.

Me personally I would be keeping a watch for the 7,1 to see if any appear at a good price, but unfortunately that's rare - most of them I see for sale are still at a quite big price. It's a far more serious machine that can be upgraded a lot more. In its benefit, it runs Ventura straight out of the box while the older Mac Pro models don't.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I agree with avro707. Keep an eye out for a used 7,1. I like the 6,1, but it's old tech now. It has some nice improvements over the 5,1 such as faster quad channel memory and faster CPUs. However, problematic proprietary GPUs mean you should only own one with AppleCare+ and no Thunderbolt 3.

Maybe get an M2 mini if you need something now and save up for a 7,1. But you could get a 6,1 for now if you need to run Windows. It will still get security updates for a while.

Reactions: avro707
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.