Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric#8

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2023
Just don't install Ventura
For real. Ventura is a mess for media playback. I dunno what happen? But google has revamped YouTube and now the site is a mess to run on the VenturaOS with a 2017 MacBook.

And Monterey absolutely kills batteries overnight -- it is excessive.

I just picked-up a pristine 2015 BTO 1.3/512 with under 100 battery cycles since new. Big Sur seems on point, I forgot how much I liked Big Sur. I am gonna buy a third one... I now want a Rose Gold one.

Hey? You have any recommendations for an app for temperature monitoring on the Intel? I installed and then deleted TGR Pro.

These machines are on point, for my consumption and production needs they are as good as it gets. The Mac mini is always in the back ground but when Apple puts that new ultra thin TSCM silicon in some unit and also moves off the Samsung TLC architecture in their SSDs I am gonna jump back into the retail 'new' market but these old (2015 - 2017) MacBooks are phenomenal for writers. Probably the best machine I have owned for my needs. A couple years ago I was afraid I was destined for iOS and an iPad desk set up. I am glad I found these machines.

Last edited:

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
For real. Ventura is a mess for media playback. I dunno what happen? But google has revamped YouTube and now the site is a mess to run on the VenturaOS with a 2017 MacBook.

And Monterey absolutely kills batteries overnight -- it is excessive.

I just picked-up a pristine 2015 BTO 1.3/512 with under 100 battery cycles since new. Big Sur seems on point, I forgot how much I liked Big Sur. I am gonna buy a third one... I now want a Rose Gold one.

Hey? You have any recommendations for an app for temperature monitoring on the Intel? I installed and then deleted TGR Pro.

These machines are on point, for my consumption and production needs they are as good as it gets. The Mac mini is always in the back ground but when Apple puts that new ultra thin TSCM silicon in some unit and also moves off the Samsung TLC architecture in their SSDs I am gonna jump back into the retail 'new' market but these old (2015 - 2017) MacBooks are phenomenal for writers. Probably the best machine I have owned for my needs. A couple years ago I was afraid I was destined for iOS and an iPad desk set up. I am glad I found these machines.
Yeah, Ventura runs horrible on this little machine. Monterey too but it runs a little better.

Sadly Catalina is too old but for me it have the best performance for this little Macbooks. Luckily the main browser are still supported so there shouldn't be any problem as far as you know what are you doing while surfing.

These Macbooks indeed are really good. We know the performance is not the best but, keyboard works fine, speakers are amazingly good, screen, size. For writers as you said, works phenomenal.

Reactions: Eric#8

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
Just be really careful about the keyboard—those issues are real and will kill off the fun of using a butterfly keyboard laptop quickly!

nagibator

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
Boston, MA
The most important things to check before buying any 12 inch mac:

1. Screen hinges - most of them are loose.
2. Screen Delamination, keyboard imprints.
3. Butterfly Keyboard.
4. Battery.
5. Loose USB-C port. (the replacement of which for 2016 - 2017 models is quite expensive. )

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I'm sorry, could you list your machine more clearly? The M prefix denotes an Apple silicon chip.

Just joking
Sincerely, I'm surprised that Intel did nothing about the nomenclature of the new Apple Mx when they have those m3-m5-m7 processors.

But yea, it's an Intel M3-7Y32 if you have any doubts 😂

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I have a 2017 1.4Ghz i7 16GB RAM. It works quite well. Gets a bit hot when using it though which is not the case with an M1 Air. I hope there will be a replacement, the current 13.6" is too big for many use cases.
In fact its one of the smallest usable Windows laptops as well so I use it for that as well.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I have a 2017 1.4Ghz i7 16GB RAM. It works quite well. Gets a bit hot when using it though which is not the case with an M1 Air. I hope there will be a replacement, the current 13.6" is too big for many use cases.
In fact its one of the smallest usable Windows laptops as well so I use it for that as well.
The screen using Windows looks beautiful. I think it performs better with Windows than Mac OS. I have mine with Catalina because BigSur+ is just to heavy for these little machines

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.