Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sangeppato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Hello everyone,
A couple of weeks ago I've purchased a used MBP 13" 2015 for 700€ (which is a good price where I live) in excellent exterior conditions. While I was trying it, I had noticed that a couple of keys were a bit strange (nothing major anyway), but the seller told me that it probably was just some dust and I stupidly trusted him (I was in his own house, so he looked trustworhty to me).

After some time I've tried cleaning the keys with compressed air, but it didn't work, so I've searched a bit online and I finally decided to try to remove the single keys... Just to discover, sadly, that the were some clear liquid (now evaporated) marks under them. I've decided to bring the mac to an Apple Store asking them to check inside and yesterday they called telling me that there were signs of liquid on the logic board, SSD and keyboard.

I was quite furious and I immediately called the seller, but he told me that he never spilled any liquid on it (what a liar) and that he doesn't see the problem since the macbook is working just fine.

The macbook is actually working great, the genius at the apple store has even launched the advanced diagnostic test and he didn't find any issue, but I know it could fail sooner or later.

The only way not to lose my money is to sell it as "functional", but I'm not going to do that since I'd be a d*ck and a liar just as much as the guy who sold it to me.
So the only real options are: bring it to a third party shop (but I'm a bit scared since I know I could not 100% trust their repair) or sell it as "fully functional, but liquid was spilled on it".

I feel so dumb and stupid right now.. What should I do in yout opinion?

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
If it were me I would clean off the logic board and SSD then I would replace the keyboard and see how the machine holds up. The keyboards are cheap on eBay and if that is the biggest issue you have it isn't major.

You could have another failure down the line, but that isn't guaranteed...

Of course, backup your data regularly as you should be doing anyway.

Buying used is always a dice roll. You can't be 100% sure a seller isn't being 100% truthful. If you can't deal with the risk and hassle I would recommend only buying high quality refurbished machines such as from Apple directly. That way you have some guarantee and a return policy to work with.

Sangeppato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
If it were me I would clean off the logic board and SSD then I would replace the keyboard and see how the machine holds up. The keyboards are cheap on eBay and if that is the biggest issue you have it isn't major.

You could have another failure down the line, but that isn't guaranteed...

Of course, backup your data regularly as you should be doing anyway.

Buying used is always a dice roll. You can't be 100% sure a seller isn't being 100% truthful. If you can't deal with the risk and hassle I would recommend only buying high quality refurbished machines such as from Apple directly. That way you have some guarantee and a return policy to work with.
Thanks, this was a very nice answer to me (until now everyone just called me dumb).
The keyboard is working perfectly fine as well, I just had to clean a couple of keycaps.. I'll probably bring this to a third party shop asking them to clear the board (if it's worth it) beacuse I'm too paranoid when I do this kind of stuff alone and I should also purchase all the necessary tools..
I know that you can't be sure about this kind of issues when buying used, the only way to be sure is removing the bottom plate and check, but noone allows you to do that

Reactions: twanj

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I wouldn’t touch anything. If it works, it works. Disassembling/cleaning it is always risky as you might break/short connectors. And if you let a shop do it it’s going
to cost you. And yeah, the seller is a ***

Reactions: Mendota

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
You can use isopropilic alcool to clean all mainboard, ssd, etc.
You will get a clean, shining like new mbook...
Or you can use it as it is...

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Honestly if it's working fine I really wouldn't worry about it. If you've got some time I'd pop it open and clean it out with isopropyl alcohol and it'll be fine.

Sangeppato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
So i talked a bit with the guy who selled the laptop and he told me that he bought it 2 years ago (used), he never had an issue with it and never spilled any liquid, so it was probably the previous owner's fault (according to him).
I don't know if I should trust him or not but at this point it doesn't make any difference at all..
However if he's not lying, then the damage is about two years old and the macbook is still fine..
I think I'll bring it to an indipendent repair center just to get an inspection inside and live without too many worries (I hope).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So i talked a bit with the guy who selled the laptop and he told me that he bought it 2 years ago (used), he never had an issue with it and never spilled any liquid, so it was probably the previous owner's fault (according to him).
I don't know if I should trust him or not but at this point it doesn't make any difference at all..
However if he's not lying, then the damage is about two years old and the macbook is still fine..
I think I'll bring it to an indipendent repair center just to get an inspection inside and live without too many worries (I hope).

Will he take it back? If so, I would get your money back and let him sell it to someone else.

Sangeppato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Will he take it back? If so, I would get your money back and let him sell it to someone else.
He won't.. and honestly I wouldn't neither.
If he knew about the damage he probably sold it specifically to get rid of it, if he didn't he's now probably considering how lucky he was not having issues for two years and still managing to sell it for a good price..
At this point, the only option not to lose money is either selling it and being dishonest (but I don't really want to) or keeping it and praying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.