Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpin Jack Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
I was going to hit the Apple Store tomorrow to pick up a NEW Mac Mini. As fate has it I stumbled on the opportunity to buy a used 09' machine. Now, I'm not savy with processor speed or for that matter most other technical data. My planned usage fo the Mini is Recording and mastering original music, running "Logic Express or Logic Studio"

Here's the Facts on the two machines;

Mint 2009 Mac Mini
2.0 GHZ Core 2 Duo Processor
4gb RAM (machine has later firmware update and can recognize up to 8gb RAM)
500GB HD
AppleCare (till mid 2012) [Priced @ $575.00]

vs.

New 2010 Mac Mini
2.26 GHZ
4gb RAM
160GB HD
No Apple Care

Help?

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Old one is a better deal.

Refurb minis have been showing up at the apple store, $499 for that 2.26 model -- if that matters

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
As soon as new ones go up I am putting mine up for sale. Had it since
November. 2.26, 4gb ram (crucial upgraded), 500gb hdd (upgraded),
Will probably sell my Dell Mini 10v too. That way I can buy the new
Mac Mini. ^_^ I would probably consider 499 plus shipping to someone
serious, when the refresh happens. Should be within a few months.

Who knows though.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
qualitative ..hm none , its only a tiny bit faster thats all , in real world you wont notice the difference if you do not have both side by side

booting it up and opening safari or whatever browser you use and opening MR
the 2.26 might be a 10th of a second faster doing so compared with the 2.0

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
does the 2009 have the dual screen support? That would be a major factor for me
applecare can be purchased within one year of buying the mini so you can save up for it over the year.

applecare can be transferred

2009 (minus the dual q) sounds the better deal and I wouldnt worry about the processor difference

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Very little difference. Applecare is rarely needed on desktop, especially one with no screen and few moving parts like a Mac Mini. (I consider AppleCare mandatory on a laptop)

Both processors are basically the same speed.

Dual monitor support is a good point - it's useful for pro use. Do you already have cables and adaptors to fit the Mac Mini (whichever one you get)?

Internal HD speed is a valid factor. Is 160GB enough? Even with the 500GB you may well prefer to use a fast 1TB external for your work files.

As this seems to be for work, it's worth looking at the tax situation. You might be able to claim more off your taxes if you buy new (or refurb) with a recipt rather than second-hand cash-in-hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.