Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Safari on the iPhone apparently ignores the "position:fixed" css property, even though it works great in both Safari for Windows and OS X. This is especially annoying for app development, because you might want to make a bar at the top or bottom stay in place as the user scrolls the middle section.

I'm beginning to notice more and more that Apple really lied about making apps like the ones already on the iPhone (dragging things seems like a pretty important part of the UI that is just not going to be available on web pages, it's ridiculous).

So, anyone know a workaround, so other way to get these bars to stay in place? Do I have to use frames or something?

ynTheatre

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
Two finger scroll?

Safari on the iPhone apparently ignores the "position:fixed" css property, even though it works great in both Safari for Windows and OS X. This is especially annoying for app development, because you might want to make a bar at the top or bottom stay in place as the user scrolls the middle section.

I'm beginning to notice more and more that Apple really lied about making apps like the ones already on the iPhone (dragging things seems like a pretty important part of the UI that is just not going to be available on web pages, it's ridiculous).

So, anyone know a workaround, so other way to get these bars to stay in place? Do I have to use frames or something?

Did you try scrolling the middle section of your site with two fingers instead of just one. As was mentioned in a post on Macrumors' main iPhone page, Safari on iPhone functions differently when scrolling with one vs. two fingers. One finger seems to move the entire window up or down where as two fingers seems to scroll internal elements.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Did you try scrolling the middle section of your site with two fingers instead of just one. As was mentioned in a post on Macrumors' main iPhone page, Safari on iPhone functions differently when scrolling with one vs. two fingers. One finger seems to move the entire window up or down where as two fingers seems to scroll internal elements.

I'll give it a try. However, whether it works or not, it means I still can't create an iphone like app, because I don't really want my UI to look stupid when the user scrolls with one finger. For now, I've just limited the page to the size of the iPhone's browser window.

Who's with me, this is pretty lame, right? They say we can make iPhone style apps, then don't put in something as basic as fixed positions for css properties??? It's crap. We'd need these to make apps anything like the iPhone. I repeat, does anyone now how to make header or footer bars stay in place on the iPhone Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.