Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
So…

Over the last year or so I’ve made the MR forums my only real social media conversation. I find all the various screen names and user pictures curiously interesting and I thought it might be fun to share what these snippets show of our personality.

As a long-term Final Cut Pro user (since FCP 3), I enjoy the program. I also get a thrill when the latest Apple workstation reduces my rendering times; hence my username, MacProFCP. My avatar is that of one of my favorite cameras, the Sony FX9 with a 70-200 lens.

How about you?

Last edited:

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I like flowers ^-^ Oh, and my picture is a reference to how I don't really stand out here, I suppose. Plus, I like the color blue.

Reactions: MacProFCP

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I couldn't come up with anything better, so my username is my first and last initials, and then the last number of my birth year

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about the profile picture—just my Memoji, which is an attempt at showing who I am without displaying my actual face lol... it's pretty close

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A very long time ago (1999) a multimedia instructor demanded that the class get email addresses. So, off to Yahoo I went. Only I couldn't think of an email I wanted. So…the username I have now. Over the years, with some specific exceptions, it's been the same on every social site I've signed up for.

My idea was not to hide behind my username. You can search for my username and you'll find me.

To be clear, first initial of my first name + last name. If you've spent any time on this site in the subforums I frequent, it will be very easy for you to figure out my first name.

Keep in mind, there are others out there with my name and initials. My name is not as uncommon as some may think. And if in searching for me you happen to run across the beer distributor in Seattle, Washington, that isn't me. And no, I cannot get anyone free beer - although his boss has apologized to me a few times for sending me email that should have gone to him

At the risk of sounding arrogant and self-promoting, my MacRumors avatar is a direct result of @Raging Dufus.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mine's the kitten from Garfield. I'm not sure why I picked it (it was 20-odd years ago) and this is the only site where I use that name.

My avatar's from Warcraft, and it's getting a bit "stale", but I know that people tend to recognise avatars more than names so I'm a bit hesitant to change it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I couldn't come up with anything better, so my username is my first and last initials, and then the last number of my birth year
I was going to guess "a Unix command" followed by "number with a palindromic binary pattern".

5 = 101 binary
33 = 10001 binary

EDIT
Oops, I forget to say anything about my avatar.
I'll just leave this screenshot here.
chowntar.png

That's right, it's 'tar and minitar.
(tar also being a Unix cmd, and minitar being a tiny mythic bull).

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I used Apple fanboy as it seemed to be poignant to the site and my general feeling towards Apple.
Now to be clear I’m not an Apple fanboy in the sense I think they can do no wrong. Probably a bit more level headed than that.

The image is a composite of one of my photos and my daughters drawing of this guy.

Attachments

• 1682617591526.png
    1682617591526.png
    862.5 KB · Views: 39

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
My username is a play on the icanhaz meme, I added the mac part because I joined here shortly after getting my first Mac ever (2017 MBP dumpster fire) and my first Apple computer since my //c.

My avatars change with the wind but have been mostly cartoon/comic characters.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
My avatar is the logo of the Montreal Expos baseball team, the first Major League Baseball franchise located outside the United States. My username indicates the year the team entered the league and began play. 54 years ago this month. I had the pleasure of attending a number of games in that first season. A wonderful experience for a sports loving 10 year old boy.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
At the risk of sounding arrogant and self-promoting, my MacRumors avatar is a direct result of @Raging Dufus.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/another-forum-for-us.2165503/?post=27010193#post-27010193
And vice-versa. He called me a dwarf (see a few posts downstream of the one linked above). To be clear, it had nothing to do with stature, and everything to do with attitude... I think. Anyway, I had to admit he was right :) ...so, my avatar is a slightly modified image of a Dwalin action figure.

As for my username: well, that's just what I am. Sometimes I fly off at the handle, and am usually then revealed as a dufus who didn't have anything to be upset about in the first place. I like to think I've grown beyond that, but my nature still expresses itself from time to time [sigh].

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And vice-versa. He called me a dwarf (see a few posts downstream of the one linked above). To be clear, it had nothing to do with stature, and everything to do with attitude... I think. Anyway, I had to admit he was right :) ...so, my avatar is a slightly modified image of a Dwalin action figure.
Thorin's Company are good people, if just a bit…passionate.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm lame. Initials followed by birthdate. My avatar ties into my favorite hobby (and career), but it also sometimes makes people think the 727 in my username is the airplane. Nah...just July 27th. :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My name? I came to be known as Delta Delta, from the radio call sign that I used (delta delta), my first and last initials in phonetic alphabet. (You have never lived until you have innocently walked down a hardware aisle in Walmart, only to hear someone call out "Hey, it's Delta Delta!")
So, what to use as a name in this Mac support forum? That would be DeltaMac, of course. What else could it be!

Oh yeah, the cat. Sorta reminds me of Bill the Cat, from the Bloom County comic strip. Same almost-beat-up kind of appearance. And, that reminds me of me, sorta beat up by life. It's actually an animated gif -- I wish I could get it to play.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My user name is rather self-explanatory once someone realizes that I"m into photography..... I came up with it years ago when I was trying to come up with a new, catchy screenname / user name for forums and suddenly it just popped into my head. Bingo! I've been using it ever since....

The avatar, which actually is supposed to be an animated GIF, and which really did sparkle in the old forum software, was a thoughtful gift from a member who is no longer around but who was here in the early days and when I was coming close to the point (I think it was 500 posts?) when I could have an avatar, I wondered on here how to go about that process and was trying to come up with an idea for one....she generously explained the process of setting up an avatar and also offered me this one, which I accepted with joy and gratitude. I've enjoyed and used it here ever since.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
My user name is rather self-explanatory once someone realizes that I"m into photography..... I came up with it years ago when I was trying to come up with a new, catchy screenname / user name for forums and suddenly it just popped into my head. Bingo! I've been using it ever since....

The avatar, which actually is supposed to be an animated GIF, and which really did sparkle in the old forum software, was a thoughtful gift from a member who is no longer around but who was here in the early days and when I was coming close to the point (I think it was 500 posts?) when I could have an avatar, I wondered on here how to go about that process and was trying to come up with an idea for one....she generously explained the process of setting up an avatar and also offered me this one, which I accepted with joy and gratitude. I've enjoyed and used it here ever since.
Very cool

Used to have GIFs. Never knew that and I’ve been reading MR since the early days.

Reactions: Clix Pix

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I like to think that they too are mostly raging dufuses (dufi?) 😁
Raging, yes. To quote Bilbo "That's home. That's why I came back, 'cause you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."

I'd be raging too if my home was stolen from me. ;)

And they do things sometimes without thinking about it. Thorin in particular didn't consider his actions overmuch. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.