Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Is it possible to change my username for this macrumors account I have?

Thanks

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Normally that is not possible, unless there is a privacy concern, or some other compelling factor that is tied to your current username. If that is the case, please use the "contact us" form to send a request to the staff.

Normally, that is absolutely possible, and no, it is not a problem.

Moreover, this is something that has been requested on quite a number of occasions for a variety of reasons by several different members since I joined the forum.

@Jsquires1990, I suggest that you simply contact the staff and request a name change, and they will comply with your request.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Normally that is not possible, unless there is a privacy concern, or some other compelling factor that is tied to your current username. If that is the case, please use the "contact us" form to send a request to the staff.

Didn’t you have your name changed from BasicGreatGuy to Apple_Robert?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Didn’t you have your name changed from BasicGreatGuy to Apple_Robert?
I did. A name change is one of the perks of being a Contributor.

If I remember correctly, when I first joined here, you really couldn't get your name changed easily as has been mentioned in counter to what I said. I was unaware that the status has changed where any regular member can get his or her name changed just because said person got tired of it. That really defeats the point of having a Contributor perk when a nonpaying member can get the same perk for free.

• Angry
Reactions: millerj123

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I thought a name change once you had a lot of posts could cause problems for the database?
Maybe that's old info in the modern age :)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

If I remember correctly, when I first joined here, you really couldn't get your name changed easily as has been mentioned in counter to what I said. I was unaware that the status has changed where any regular member can get his or her name changed just because said person got tired of it. That really defeats the point of having a Contributor perk when a nonpaying member can get the same perk for free.
I don’t view the ability to change a user name to be a “perk” I was a “Demi-God” or something when I contributed years ago. I didn’t contribute for perks or a title. I contributed to be nice. Some sites have an “contributors only” members section too. I donated to an audio site because I was getting lots of useful help with my questions. A perk was you could list audio gear for sale if you wanted. I contributed because it’s a smaller website funded by either ads or members and I liked the idea of less ads and I wanted to help with the server costs since I was getting use from it. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Stuff and nonsense.

As far as I can recall - and, for what it is worth, I was a 'contributor' for six years - I cannot ever recall the possibility of a "name change" being offered as a "perk".

Perhaps it is, but that is not why most who have - or had - chosen to contribute actually contributed.

I liked the relaxed atmosphere in the "private" section of the forum, and, at the time, I was more than happy to contribute something (by way of financial support) towards MR, for, at a difficult time (my mother had been diagnosed with dementia and I was responsible for her care), the site - especialy, that corner of the site - offered a valuable space, resource (perhaps escape), for which I was profoundly grateful.

What an extraordinary post.

And, why shouldn't they - that is, anyone who has joined the forum - make such a request, should they feel the need to do so, irrespecctive of whether they have a paid contributor account, or not?

As far as I know, anyone can request a name change - for whatever reason (and these reasons far exceed "being tired of it") - at any time, and the staff on MR will usually seek to address such a request.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I don’t view the ability to change a user name to be a “perk” I was a “Demi-God” or something when I contributed years ago. I didn’t contribute for perks or a title. I contributed to be nice. Some sites have an “contributors only” members section too. I donated to an audio site because I was getting lots of useful help with my questions. A perk was you could list audio gear for sale if you wanted. I contributed because it’s a smaller website funded by either ads or members and I liked the idea of less ads and I wanted to help with the server costs since I was getting use from it. :)
I am a Contributor because I believe in the site and appreciate the knowledge and friendship found here. I didn't join just because of the perks, although I do make use of them from time to time.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Stuff and nonsense.

As far as I can recall - and, for what it is worth, I was a 'contributor' for six years - I cannot ever recall the possibility of a "name change" being offered as a "perk".

Perhaps it is, but that is not why most who have - or had - chosen to contribute actually contributed.

What an extraordinary post.

And, why shouldn't they - that is, anyone who has joined the forum - make such a request, should they feel the need to do so, irrespecctive of whether they have a paid contributor account, or not?

As far as I know, anyone can request a name change - for whatever reason (and these reasons far exceed "being tired of it") - at any time, and the staff on MR will usually seek to address such a request.
Having the ability to change the username is a perk of a Contributor. I don't care if you believe it or not. It's a fact. Ask Arn if you don't believe it.

I also don't care if you don't like my memory from 9 years ago.

I am not going to argue with you or anyone else over this. It's not worth my time. The only reason I responded further was to reply to Nick.

The OP got his name changed. I am moving on.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having the ability to change the username is a perk of a Contributor. I don't care if you believe it or not. It's a fact. Ask Arn if you don't believe it.

I also don't care if you don't like my memory from 9 years ago.

I am not going to argue of with you or anyone else over this. It's not worth my time. The only reason I responded further was to reply to Nick.

The OP got his name changed. I am moving on.

I think that there is a distinction to be drawn between something that any member has a right to ask - such as a name change - (and this is discussed in the site terms and conditions - the staff advise against it but are perfectly happy to act upon such requests) and something that a member of this forum claims is (or as) a "perk" of paid membership of the forum.

Perhas it is; I was a 'contributor' for six years and never noticed this - which is not to say that it does not exist - and nor did I give it any thought.

Given that we are all identified by our respective names online, here, it is a major step to change one's (online) identity, and one that the staff advise not be undertaken lightly, especially if you are well known, or have been a prolific poster, as people may have known you under a different name.

However, I confess that I am lost for words that such a facility should be deemed exclusive - "a perk" in other words - and thus, confined to those who have contributed as 'paid' members to the site, and I write this as someone who did contribute to the site as a "paid" member for six years.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I got my name changed from FreshPie to AngerDanger seven years ago without paying; as far as I know, name changes have never been exclusive to Contributors.

user title.jpg

User title changes, on the other hand, are solely for Contributors.

Last edited:

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
When I contribute to a site, it's a way of showing my gratitude for what said site has offered not just me, but others. I do not contribute for the sake of perks. I contribute as a show of appreciation and support. To do otherwise seems very self centered and self propagandizing. But that's just me. ?‍♀️

Last edited:

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
What perks do you get as a Contributor?

From the MR help center:
  • The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute)
  • Access to private forums
  • Removal of all banner ads
  • A special user title (macrumors demi-god, macrumors demi-goddess, or Contributor)
  • Occasional other benefits

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I got my name changed from FreshPie to AngerDanger seven years ago without paying; as far as I know, name changes have never been exclusive to Contributors.

View attachment 1742967

User title changes, on the other hand, are solely for Contributors.

Ah, yes, this I had forgotten, and you are perfectly correct to point this out.

User title changes: Once you become a contributor, or choose paid membership, you have the option to change your "rank" from the more usual "macrumors regular, 6502, G3, Penryn", etc, to either "demigod/Goddess" or "Contributor", but, you also have the option of leaving your "rank" exactly as it was, so that the fact that you have becoe a 'contributor' is not publicly stated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What perks do you get as a Contributor?

Apart from being able to change your "rank", you can also - if memory serves - delete (rather than simply edit) one of your own posts.

And the removal of banner ads.

However, for me, the main thing is (was) the existence of a very pleasant section of the forum, to which you gain admittance on becoming a contributor.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
WOW, you guys should all just chill the heck out! - I asked a simple question about a simple request that FYI has been dealt with and you may notice my name has now changed.

Also, I didn't have to join any form of paid inside circle or cult.

Its dealt with, lets move on!
I can't speak for anyone else but I'm chill. Just found it odd someone got their knickers in a twist thinking a name change was a deserved contributor perk.

Enjoy your name change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.