Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy it and get it running?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Hi Guys,

So I'm failing miserably with saving money at the moment and I'm struggling not to buy older macs and it's just not happening and I'm lusting over other macs now, especially since my PowerBook G4 is now running almost as good as a low spec windows PC.

I've seen a PowerMac G5 on eBay, don't know the specs yet. It needs a HDD and RAM, but I've also seen hackintosh guides online.

I'm not too interested in doing this, as I prefer pure bread powerpc macs, but I want to buy it!

What could I use it for can anyone give me ideas?

Paul

WalkerTexasRanger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2015
If it's a dual or a quad unit, they are still fairly powerful machines. I use my dual 2.0 for editing youtube videos.

Be weary of the quad units as they used the (often faulty) liquid cooling system, and so did some of the dual units.

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
Hi Guys,

So I'm failing miserably with saving money at the moment and I'm struggling not to buy older macs and it's just not happening and I'm lusting over other macs now, especially since my PowerBook G4 is now running almost as good as a low spec windows PC.

I've seen a PowerMac G5 on eBay, don't know the specs yet. It needs a HDD and RAM, but I've also seen hackintosh guides online.

I'm not too interested in doing this, as I prefer pure bread powerpc macs, but I want to buy it!

What could I use it for can anyone give me ideas?

Paul
Oh dear - you've caught the bug. These things are seriously addictive. First you start with just the one, then another comes along you just can't resist and then just one more, and then another ( to make a set!) and then one final one, and then another final one, and then a "definitely the last one".... Sound familiar anyone?

Seriously though, trawl through the forum - there's lots of things a G5 is capable of. Be careful about what you buy though - the LCS models can be an expensive exercise. I'm sure someone posted a buyers guide on here a while ago. Let us know how it works out!

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Oh dear - you've caught the bug. These things are seriously addictive. First you start with just the one, then another comes along you just can't resist and then just one more, and then another ( to make a set!) and then one final one, and then another final one, and then a "definitely the last one".... Sound familiar anyone?

Seriously though, trawl through the forum - there's lots of things a G5 is capable of. Be careful about what you buy though - the LCS models can be an expensive exercise. I'm sure someone posted a buyers guide on here a while ago. Let us know how it works out!

I've caught the bug hard haha.

The guy whose selling it (of which now I'm the proud owner) said that it's 'working but needs a new hard drive and ram' and that's it. figure it's an okay gamble at having paid £45 for the machine all together!!

May look at the old games that used to run on universal binaries and buy some.

Also thinking of using it to rip all my CDs too and DVDs and having a media machine.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
For the record I've been using my PowerBook as my main machine since I bought it a few weeks ago and I'm in love with the thing (again - also the keyboard is phenomenal).

They're still plenty capable with the right software and a tad bit of patience. If It's a dual G5 or better I'd wager I wouldn't mind not having access to a powerful machine. There isn't much they aren't actually capable of unless you need a particular modern version of some software or Flash.

I really just miss Logic Pro X.

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
The G5s are great machines, though keep in mind though that they are also quite power-hungry, so watch the electric bill!

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Theres no way to tell the specs from that picture sadly. However, the fact that it comes with a wireless mighty mouse leads me to believe that it has bluetooth installed. If this is a Dual Core 2.0/2.3 or a Quad, the bluetooth/airport runway card is extremely valuable and rare

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
However, the fact that it comes with a wireless mighty mouse leads me to believe that it has bluetooth installed.
You just never know with secondhand - I bought a g4 iMac with bluetooth keyboard and mouse...but no sign of bluetooth on board!

This one will be a lucky dip based on those 2 photos - could be any G5 - single 1.6 to a Quad...also, no guarantee of power cord - a must have in the Quad's case.

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Theres no way to tell the specs from that picture sadly. However, the fact that it comes with a wireless mighty mouse leads me to believe that it has bluetooth installed. If this is a Dual Core 2.0/2.3 or a Quad, the bluetooth/airport runway card is extremely valuable and rare

You have to admit - this is the exciting part of buying these older Macs and not knowing the specs until you get it.

I've just messaged the seller and asked him to confirm what CPUs are onboard :)

Hopefully I might get something rare or a titan!! Either way I'm so excited :D

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If this is a Dual Core 2.0/2.3 or a Quad, the bluetooth/airport runway card is extremely valuable and rare
Guess I lucked out with my 2.0 dual-cores which have AirPort/Bluetooth, but one seems to have bad solder joints and it has gotten to the point that it won't even boot. Very common issue on Power Mac G5s from what I understand.
You have to admit - this is the exciting part of buying these older Macs and not knowing the specs until you get it.

I've just messaged the seller and asked him to confirm what CPUs are onboard :)

Hopefully I might get something rare or a titan!! Either way I'm so excited :D
You never know, could be a rare Quad! Probably a dual-core though, and you won't have that LCS to deal with. So you win either way :)

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
FINALLY! I've heard back from the seller, although he's not really told me anything. He's changed the shipping date to this Wednesday day :'( I want it now!!

I've asked him to confirm the year of this PowerMac was released or if he has a model number - not really a tricky task! ha.

Or even specs of the CPU! Fewming!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
FINALLY! I've heard back from the seller, although he's not really told me anything. He's changed the shipping date to this Wednesday day :'( I want it now!!

I've asked him to confirm the year of this PowerMac was released or if he has a model number - not really a tricky task! ha.

Or even specs of the CPU! Fewming!
The serial ID tag is visible at the bottom of the case when the door is removed - if he sends you a photo of that you'll know the specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.