Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2aw

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 27, 2023
  • 1) I just got an old iphone 4S, the iOS version is 9.3.5, the latest is 9.3.6 for this phone, should I update it?
  • As for apps, it cannot run spotify or google drive or most modern apps.
  • I don't need another mp3 player, and I don't want to go though the hassle of transfering music anyways.

• So my questions are:
  • 2) if I DON'T jailbreak it, what can I do with this phone (other than basics talk and text and use the camera etc)
  • 3) If I DO jailbreak it, what can I do with it? (I never jailbroken an iPhone before, never needed to thats why)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You can run some of the base apps on iOS such as Apple Music and Podcasts… you should also be able to FaceTime on it but that’s about it.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Besides the basic apps, you ruled out the most recommended use case - mp3 player. There is not much left.
Assuming you get it jailbroken, AirServer transforms your iPhone into a free Airplay reveiver to connect to a sound system.
Without jailbreak, I use my iPad 2 (9.3.5) for VNC, watching cable TV, Plex and as local surveillance camera but the small screen of the iPhone is barely usable for these scenarios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.