Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hi all,
I got the urge to put my old powermac 7500 back into commision. It has a few upgrades(see signature). and it is running OS 8.0 I think. It is fully functional but I have 2 problems, I only have around 3 GB of storage and I dont have an ADB mouse. Now I would like to know if you guys owned the computer what would you use it for.

Oh and if anyone wants to sell or give away and old adb mouse and a USB PCI card send me a PM.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, I can tell you what I currently use my 7500 for and how I've upgraded it. Though I'm not sure if it would help you with finding a use for yours.

It is currently running Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2). It has 384 MB of RAM, a 9 GB hard drive, a 225 MHz 604e daughter card, 256k of L2 cache, 4 MB of on board VRAM, two ixMicro TwinTurbo 128M video cards (8 MB VRAM each) running two 17" displays.

I mainly use it for web design. I have licenses for many of the older versions of the Mac OS X apps that I use on my Mac OS X systems (PowerBook and iMac), but with the two 17" displays I have more room to work on the 7500.

On the other hand, it is about to be phased out... I'm going to be replacing it with an 8600 with a 604ev at 300 Mhz (moving everything from the 7500 over to the 8600) and adding a second 9 GB hard drive.

I'll most likely also add the Blue Box environment (Mac OS 8.6) to the system on a 2 GB disk image (set up to display on the second monitor when in use) so that I don't have to move to my 8100 (which is running 8.6) to use any of my older apps. Currently I don't have Blue Box installed because I rarely use older apps, but as I'll be using a number of these apps (Theorist and Mathematica) more as school gets started, I'd rather have them on a system I'd already be sitting at.

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
USA
Back in the day, I used to use my 7500 as a TV set using a VCR as a tuner and with the built-in video in. I was even able to record television at limited quality and size. You could make it into a security system using the shareware BTV Pro which has a record-on-motion mode for video cameras attached to the built-in video port.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Quartz Extreme said:
Back in the day, I used to use my 7500 as a TV set using a VCR as a tuner and with the built-in video in. I was even able to record television at limited quality and size. You could make it into a security system using the shareware BTV Pro which has a record-on-motion mode for video cameras attached to the built-in video port.

Thats a pretty cool idea. Anyone else got ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.