Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rohitbansal1507

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2017
I own an early 2011 MBP 13". Config is 2.3GHz i5, 275GB SSD, 500GB HDD (no optical drive) and new battery and speakers. Though my machine runs absolutely smooth it's weight, display and speaker quality and overall ergonomics have started to bother me. The new machines are so much thinner and easier to use. Hence I have started saving for a new MacBook Pro. I absolutely love my Mac and don't intend to sell it rather wish to convert it into a desktop that my parents/nephew can use at home. I have following concerns:

1. I plan to buy an external HD monitor and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. But I don't want to open the lid of my macbook everytime to start the system. Can you suggest any docking options that enable me to start the system without opening the lid? This is absolutely must for me.
2. I plan to remove the internal battery and run the system only with external power. This is because the battery will expand after 2-3 years and my parents won't know what to do. But when I remove the battery connector and try and system directly on power, it doesn't boot. Any suggestions?
3. I realize my system doesn't support Windows 10, (as per Apple website). Any way to boot Windows 10 on my laptop. This will make the machine more versatile and future proof.

I basically wish to convert my macbook into a mac mini. (kind of)

Any other suggestions or opinions? Most welcome...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I wouldn't. The 2011s all have the GPU issue that will eventually happen.

I'd sell off the working 2011 model and give them a Mac Mini that won't have that problem, not need to be disassembled, take less space, etc.

I know you don't want to sell it, but i seriously think you're wasting your time with a machine that is going to die sooner or later due to a well known issue. My 2011 15" is sitting here dead...

edit:
just realised its a 13".

I'd still sell it off and use a mini, but yeah... GPU issue not an issue.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I use my MacBook Air as a desktop half the time. I love the set up. I would recommend just keeping your MBP on most of the time. Then you can wake it from sleep even if you laptop is in clamshell mode by just hitting a key on your external keyboard. There really shouldn't be any reason to turn your computer on except in rare situations.

If you have the space, I would actually recommend keeping your MBP open while docked. I have my MacBook Air open on a raised shelf next to my external monitor which gives me 2 displays and the ability to interact with the the built in keyboard on rare occasions when I need to. The shelf lets me store some wires and other things under the laptop and save some desk space.

Don't worry about the battery. It may expand but probably won't. I think this was much more of an issue back in the days of removable batteries.

rohitbansal1507

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2017
@throAU
Can you explain the GPU issue you r mentioning? I have been using this since 2011 as my main driver and never had any issue. I use mostly for browsing, MS office and youtube.

@Saturn1217
Can you help me with the shelf you have mentioned? Which one do you have? Also will the MBP wake even on a bluetooth keyboard or I need a wired keyboard/mouse?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
@throAU
Can you explain the GPU issue you r mentioning? I have been using this since 2011 as my main driver and never had any issue. I use mostly for browsing, MS office and youtube.
You don't need to worry about it since you've got a 13" machine, but the 15" and 17" MBPs from that year have an issue where the GPU becomes partially unsoldered from the board and causes all sorts of problems.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
3. I realize my system doesn't support Windows 10, (as per Apple website). Any way to boot Windows 10 on my laptop. This will make the machine more versatile and future proof.

I'm using a similar MBP.

You can use Bootcamp to boot windows 10, or you can use a Virtual Machine (VM) to run Windows 10 (I am currently doing that).

Reactions: rohitbansal1507

rohitbansal1507

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2017
Thanks guys...Still struggling to find a good docking station...Also curious if someone uses his/her Macbook without the battery...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.