Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
i have an old powerbook g4 which i dont wanna waste...

if i use it as a server, how should i set it up?

ill always leave it on, so should i plug it in to the wall and take the battery out? or should i leave the battery in?

i'll always keep the displays off, however.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Not a bad idea. It depends what you plan on doing with it.

You could pop a big hard drive in it, and use it as a media server. More preferrably, hook up an external via. Firewire.

I'd probably keep the battery in just incase of a power outage. It's a perfect backup.

Also, try to have it wired. It will be much faster (ethernet).

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Not a bad idea. It depends what you plan on doing with it.

You could pop a big hard drive in it, and use it as a media server. More preferrably, hook up an external via. Firewire.

I'd probably keep the battery in just incase of a power outage. It's a perfect backup.

Also, try to have it wired. It will be much faster (ethernet).

That's a pretty good idea... i have a Western Digital 500GB HD that i can use :). If i were to use it as a media server, would there be a way i can access it on my ipod touch, other than using an http webserver? (or whatever you call it ).

Thanks!

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I'm using a MDD 866mhz g4 tower as a server. It's plugged directly into the wifi router, has 4 hard drives in it, and runs bittorrent and protein folding all day. Fans are noisy as hell. The best part though, is that I did the time machine hack so I now get wireless backups to it, completely transparently. It sends and recieves at about 2.5-3mb per second, fast enough to stream 720p if it's not doing anything else. Fast enough for good backup.

It doesn't even have a screen or keyboard plugged into it, just power, ethernet, and firewire to my R1800 printer (shared). I use leopard's screen sharing to control it.

For you'r setup I'd suggest plugging in as much storage as you can, your printer, and wired ethernet. If you want to plug in speakers so it plays music like an airport express, there's a wifi based remote control program called jfControl which could work for you. Costs a few bucks, test it with the free version first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.