Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I've bought a Roland A-800 Pro keyboard controller to use with Logic Pro X (version 10.4.8/MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra) and although I have it working I haven't gotten a clear understanding of how the knobs, faders and pads are supposed to work, how to set it all up and in which situations should do what. I really don't know what to expect and what I should do (or not do if it's already set up by default) to make it work as intended.

Can someone please give me some pointers to get started?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Is there anything in its manual that explains how to configure it for use in different DAWs?
You might find some controls automap, such as the transport controls, if it has any.
Otherwise you might have to put it into a certain mode so that it emulates a common protocol, such as Mackie Control.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, the manual talks about pre-configured settings for various DAWs (including Logic), but I find it confusing, more specifically:

1) the keyboard itself has 4 or 5 CTRL-maps for Logic. I have no idea which one to choose, or if I need to use it at all.
Are these meant for different ways of controlling Logic (i.e. one setup specialized for mixing, another one for synth editing etc.). Maybe someone could explain what they all do, and if I need to select one for general use?

2) When do I use the "A-Pro editor" app? Is this only for customizing specialized configurations?

3) Do I need to configure anything for the A-Pro keyboard within Logic?

4) What are the knobs, faders and pads supposed to do? And do they all have different functionality according to where in Logic you are, which plugin is open etc?

The manual as most manuals don't sort out this kind of confusion, but tend to stick to the technical side of things, so I'm hoping to hear from someone here who already has a Roland A-Pro (-300, -500 or -800) and uses it with Logic Pro X.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Fair enough. I use an Arturia Keylab controller and a Presonus Faderport 16 and I found they just worked right out the box, having put the Presonus into Mackie emulation mode. My thought process was that the Roland would be similar.

Maybe worthwhile hunting down a forum for users of Roland controllers? Or, experiment and see which configurations works best for you.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have an 88 key Nektar MIDI keyboard with knobs and sliders and pads. I have disabled the controller stuff because, as I quickly found out, if I inadvertently touch one of the knobs I can't be sure what change it made.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Yes, the manual talks about pre-configured settings for various DAWs (including Logic), but I find it confusing, more specifically:

1) the keyboard itself has 4 or 5 CTRL-maps for Logic. I have no idea which one to choose, or if I need to use it at all.
Are these meant for different ways of controlling Logic (i.e. one setup specialized for mixing, another one for synth editing etc.). Maybe someone could explain what they all do, and if I need to select one for general use?

2) When do I use the "A-Pro editor" app? Is this only for customizing specialized configurations?

3) Do I need to configure anything for the A-Pro keyboard within Logic?

4) What are the knobs, faders and pads supposed to do? And do they all have different functionality according to where in Logic you are, which plugin is open etc?

The manual as most manuals don't sort out this kind of confusion, but tend to stick to the technical side of things, so I'm hoping to hear from someone here who already has a Roland A-Pro (-300, -500 or -800) and uses it with Logic Pro X.
I have a 1990s-era Roland A-90EX and an XP-80, and I looked into this earlier in the year. I was trying to decide whether to sell them and get a modern MIDI controller with faders, knobs, and pads, or just deal with the limitations of what I have, since they’re both excellent keyboards. For now, I’m keeping what I have. Anyway, here are what I think are the answers to your questions. If anyone knows better, feel free to correct me.

1) Each map allows you to configure a different set of parameters for your controller. For example, you might want one map that has rock drum samples assigned to the pads, another that has electronic percussion, another that has Latin percussion, and so on. Then you select which map you want to use depending on what you’re recording. What I don’t know is whether the maps already have different configurations assigned, or whether they all start with the same default. I found this video from 2014 that shows you how to configure a map in A-Pro. You have to know which parameters you want to assign, and how to select them, which is the tricky technical part.

2) I answered this in #1. As far as I can tell, the app is only for assigning custom configurations.

3) According to the Logic Pro online manual, when you select your MIDI controller in Settings, it will ask whether you want to use the default controller configurations in your keyboard. If you say Yes, I assume it will use whichever A-Pro map is currently selected—but I don’t know for sure. You’ll have to try it and see.

However, Logic has the same control map functionality built it. Satcomer’s video shows that. It’s also explained in the Assign Hardware Controllers section of the Logic Pro User Guide. My assumption is that, if you select No when Logic asks if you want to use the default controller configurations in your keyboard, it will ignore the A-Pro maps. Unless you plan to use your A-800 with multiple programs, my inclination would be to use Logic’s built-in control maps rather than the A-Pro maps, just so you don’t add an unnecessary app to the mix, which might increase the possibility of technical issues.

4) The knobs, faders, and pads can do anything you want them to do. Pads are usually use to trigger samples, like percussion. Knobs and faders can control the ADSR envelope, modulation, filter cutoff, and so on for synthesizer patches. You can also assign them to editing functions. The trick is figuring out what you want them to do and then figuring out the correct parameters. Logic’s control map function has a learning mode where you choose a parameter and tweak the control you want to use for it, and it automatically assigns it. I’ve only scratched the surface of this myself, and I know it’s going to take a lot of trial and error.

On Udemy, I purchased an excellent 25-hour course called Music + Audio Production in Logic Pro X. The content creator keeps it updated. It covers every aspect of Logic Pro, including a section on configuring control maps. I got it and several other courses for ridiculously low prices during their New Year’s Day sale a few years ago, and it’s on sale right now:

Hope that helps! Again, I’ve only dipped into this feature of Logic, so I might be missing things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.