Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I am working on a sales presentation in Powerpoint, but I want to use Keynote on my Air to polish it off and make it awesome. I am not sure if the location that I am presenting is Mac compatible, so if I wanted to use my Air to hook up to a projector to present, how could I accomplish this?

If there is no way to accomplish this, would Keynote convert well with Powerpoint 2003?

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
I am working on a sales presentation in Powerpoint, but I want to use Keynote on my Air to polish it off and make it awesome. I am not sure if the location that I am presenting is Mac compatible, so if I wanted to use my Air to hook up to a projector to present, how could I accomplish this?

If there is no way to accomplish this, would Keynote convert well with Powerpoint 2003?

All you need to make sure is you have the right kind of video cable,
mini-displayport -> VGA is always the safest choice, almost all (in fact, I can't find a projector that does not house a VGA port at my place. Some have DVI, some not)

I have delivered multiple presentations in different scenarios, and the integration between Keynote and its presenter never fails to impress, esp. when all the before and afters are all die-hard PPT fans.

Notice one small thing, bringing PPT to Keynote isn't all the same to starting all off from within Keynote. So if you are looking forward to deliver that master pitch, you probably may want to quickly redo what you've got so far in Keynote.

Good luck at your presentation mate ;)

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Be sure to get the correct display adapter. The Rev. A MBA takes the Micro DVI, not the mini displayport like the new ones.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks all! I think my wife's unibody MacBook came with a mini dvi to VGA connector. I have my ppt text only and will redo in Keynote. I hope it's pretty easy to make it look cool.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Thanks all! I think my wife's unibody MacBook came with a mini dvi to VGA connector. I have my ppt text only and will redo in Keynote. I hope it's pretty easy to make it look cool.

Did you mean to type mini-DisplayPort? The original MacBooks used mini-DVI adapters (and I believe included them); however, I don't believe any of the newer (unibody on) products, which use the mini-DisplayPort adapters, include an adapter. I could be wrong on the not including them or maybe she picked one up at purchase time as part of a package.

You either need to go to an Apple store and pick up one of these adapters or if you have some lead time you can order non-Apple branded ones from some places (e.g., http://monoprice.com -- I have both the mini-DP->VGA and mini-DP->DVI adapters from them and they seem to work and were a good bit cheaper -- just to point out there are other options with the disclaimer that I am just a customer and no financial incentive .. blah blah).

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I always keep a mini-displayport to VGA adapter in my bag for any instances where I might need to show a presentation. I personally prefer the Apple adapter versus the one from monoprice on the basis Apple supports their adapter with firmware updates and such whereas I can't preach about the third party adapter. Even in new lecture halls > VGA is still the standard connection for projectors or wired setups.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks! I just picked an adapter at the Apple store today. My presentation is almost done. I just need to add some photos/pictures and add a little color to the backgrounds. I am not sure how to add some background color or textures... every time I try switching themes, it only changes the font schemes, but leaves my background white.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Thanks! I just picked an adapter at the Apple store today. My presentation is almost done. I just need to add some photos/pictures and add a little color to the backgrounds. I am not sure how to add some background color or textures... every time I try switching themes, it only changes the font schemes, but leaves my background white.

+1 would love to know (and learn!) too
I was in exactly the same situation before

AFAIK, there is no background option in Keynote, but Keynote can recognize backgrounds build from PPT
the immediate solution would be, start a plain slide in PPT, set the background picture, then open it in Keynote and go from there

again, would really really love to find out how to add background in Keynote :confused:

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Not a problem

I use my MBA first edition with Keynote all the time (actually at least weekly).

I use a Dell projector, with the adapter for the digital output (sorry forgot the name) to blue VGA out. I plug the VGA into the Dell and bingo. Unlike my Windows machine, I don't have to boot the machine with the projector on and plugged in first.

I use the Apple remote and it works great too.

One note however, you may need to go to to the settings/display/mirror. Also, note that the resolution will default to highest resolution of the projector.

Finally, I would I always suggest that you try your system out way in advance of a presentation to avoid a bad day.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
One note however, you may need to go to to the settings/display/mirror. Also, note that the resolution will default to highest resolution of the projector.

Finally, I would I always suggest that you try your system out way in advance of a presentation to avoid a bad day.

I personally wouldn not use mirror to take advantage of the presenter's screen with timer and next slide preview

Also, it is invaluable to have prepared and try hooking up with the projector before the actual presentation to avoid tech disaster.

Good luck and all the best and your presentation.;)

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Hi,

Can you tell me how to use the apple remote? This will be great so I don't have to use the only USB adapter with an RF transmitter....:rolleyes:

pair your apple remote up with your MBA, make sure you keep your IrDA is switched on :)
or, pair it up with your iPhone/iPod Touch using Remote.app
mind you, Keynote Remote is a paid app;)

BTW, no one is answering the background image question?

salv8ion

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Adding images to Keynote background

To place an image on the background of a Keynote presentation, just select View > Master Slides (or grab the two line control next the left hand Slides label -- see attached image). This is equivalent to Slide Master View in PowerPoint.

Now you can see all of the slide masters that are in use for the current presentation. Just add your images to the appropriate slide master(s) and send them to the back (so they don't show up on top of your text or other body content).

Also, definitely test your presentation set up before you go live. I have found that the using MDP-to-VGA adapter with my MBA can be a little wonky in terms of selecting the correct default display settings for the external display. To deal with this, open the Displays preference pane, click detect displays (sometimes this will fix things), then select 'Gather Windows' so that you can see the controls for both displays (your MBA and the external monitor). Start by setting the external monitor to something that it is likely to handle -- I usually start with 800x600 at 60Hz -- and then tweak as necessary. Sometimes it takes several tries to get things working.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• Keynote Master Slides.png
    Keynote Master Slides.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 98

drmalan

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
It is fun to watch the Hotel AudioVisual guy when you hand them your MBA to hook up to their projector and they start turning it round and round trying to locate a VGA out. I usually let them ponder this for about 3-4 minutes before I tire.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I personally wouldn not use mirror to take advantage of the presenter's screen with timer and next slide preview

Also, it is invaluable to have prepared and try hooking up with the projector before the actual presentation to avoid tech disaster.

Good luck and all the best and your presentation.;)

Though I have noted some delay between the presenter's display and the main screen with the slide but this may be my dated MBP. Initially can be irritating as you loo onto the screen and wonder why it didn't change, you click again and you end up to far ahead... Try that first if you are comfortable with it. It shows you the time on your display as a big advantage though.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Though I have noted some delay between the presenter's display and the main screen with the slide but this may be my dated MBP. Initially can be irritating as you loo onto the screen and wonder why it didn't change, you click again and you end up to far ahead... Try that first if you are comfortable with it. It shows you the time on your display as a big advantage though.
my MBA is doing alright with the delay issue,
sometimes it's just the transitions being too 'fancy' it took a little time to finish it's show biz:apple:
otherwise it's all fine

I also use my iPod Touch (1st Gen) with Remote.app as my presentation remote control;)

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Using the remote.

I whole heartedly agree with tsubikddo about checking your setup way in advance. Also, the mirroring isn't required, but I had a glitch with my projector and found that I needed to go into the settings /monitor to get it to work properly.

Now on to the remote question. In Keynote, click on "play" icon in the menu bar or file drop down list. Your slide will display full screen. turn the MBA so the screen is facing you and use the right arrow to go forward, and the back arrow to go backward. Use the center button to show information at the top (avoid this as it will show up on screen). Hit escape on the keyboard to get out of play mode. Easy as pie.

Hi,

Can you tell me how to use the apple remote? This will be great so I don't have to use the only USB adapter with an RF transmitter....:rolleyes:

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Transitions/animations

You can go to the slide inspector and and adjusting the timing of these things. Maybe that will help with the delays.

my MBA is doing alright with the delay issue,
sometimes it's just the transitions being too 'fancy' it took a little time to finish it's show biz:apple:
otherwise it's all fine

I also use my iPod Touch (1st Gen) with Remote.app as my presentation remote control;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.