Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I hooked (paired) my AirPods up to my Samsung (shoot me :) ) HDTV, which happens to have a connection for BT, and it works great. Two issues:

1. You can't adjust the volume. This is a limitation of the TV, which seems to expect that the headphones will have a volume adjustment. I guess we can't fault them for that.

2. Once I had paired the AirPods with the TV, it took some work to get them back working with my iPhone. I had to 'de-pair' them from the TV, and then do the same from the iPhone, and reconnect them, as if from scratch.

I saw an article that said something about using them with multiple devices would require 'forgetting' on both sides each time you wanted to use them on the different device. Not so useful, and sure can't purchase another set for TV watching!

Any ideas? Anyone else done this? They work great on all the Apple devices, but moving around to other BT sources seems to be a bit trickiet.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
After a bit of experimentation, it appears if you do click on the Disconnect button on the iPhone (under Bluetooth when the AirPods are active) then they can be used with another device and do reconnect pretty easily.

You do need to have them active on the iPhone, you can't disconnect them while they aren't being used, of course, so it did take a minute to switch them over. But still usable.

For those a bit hard of hearing or those that just want to use them as headphones with a TV or other device, I'd give it a 7 of 10 (mostly because of no volume control), but they weren't intended to be a general BT headset, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.