Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I have a first-generation Airport Express that I am using to extend my CenturyLink home wifi network. I hooked it up wirelessly, and it says it has a great signal from the router, but I’m not getting that great an improvement in my garage, which is about 20 feet from where I have the AE situated in my house. I have ethernet nearby and can easily run it to the AE, but is that going to help if I’m already getting a strong signal via the router? With ethernet, the AE can be configured as its own network, and if I use the same name and password as my existing network, it can “hand off” coverage as I move through the house. Will this help with the garage coverage I’m trying to improve?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You’d probably be better off with a modern mesh system. You can configure the Ae to have the same ssid and password, but it will not hand off the way you want.
And you’ll want to always have your APs connected by Ethernet wherever possible. Modern mesh systems have dedicated back haul radios, but wired is of course more reliable.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I hear you, but I already have the AE, and I’m trying not to get to complicated with this thing if I can make it work. All I’m really trying to do is get a reliable connection to an internet-connected light switch so I can turn on the lights by the garage doors without having to actually go to the garage. Unfortunately, the signal is intermittent, so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I understand! I had to solve the same problem, basically getting decent wifi in my back yard and garage for smart things.
You can give it a try with the matching ssid/key but it may end up being annoying at times, if mobile clients get stuck on the wrong AP.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I didn’t have any RJ45s to make up a piece of cable last time I was there (vacation home), but I’ve got some now and will try it next time I’m there.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Id say the problem is its a first gen (Im assuming where talking about the n not the g capable one) that's a very old and will be a very weak extender, even compared to 20-40 dollar modern extenders. If its providing better speeds at all id say that's an improvement. This is 2008 technology.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I always thought that the airport express could’t extend the wireless network of a non-airport router.

I thought, it just creates a wireless access point that you could plug a device into that Ethernet on the AE to connect to the non-AirPort network.

Am I incorrect?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I always thought that the airport express could’t extend the wireless network of a non-airport router.

I thought, it just creates a wireless access point that you could plug a device into that Ethernet on the AE to connect to the non-AirPort network.

Am I incorrect?
i believe you are correct, except in cases of using WPS, which one should ever use!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.