Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I know that Elgato Systems makes a number of external TV tuners that make it theoretically possible to connect a console to an iMac or MacBook. However, I'm concerned that this may result in a performance hit. Does anyone have any experience in using these devices with any of the current gen consoles?

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I know that Elgato Systems makes a number of external TV tuners that make it theoretically possible to connect a console to an iMac or MacBook. However, I'm concerned that this may result in a performance hit. Does anyone have any experience in using these devices with any of the current gen consoles?

Why good sir, I'd like to know too! You're as cunning as you are good looking.

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Bump.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried the new EyeTV Hybrid for use with game consoles. According to the site, game mode features "no lag" or something like that. However, I want to know their definition of lag.

For instance, it may have a 20ms latency response time...and to them they might think that's good. But for those of us who play twitch games like Halo and Gears of War...that would almost ruin the gameplay completely.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Bump.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried the new EyeTV Hybrid for use with game consoles. According to the site, game mode features "no lag" or something like that. However, I want to know their definition of lag.

For instance, it may have a 20ms latency response time...and to them they might think that's good. But for those of us who play twitch games like Halo and Gears of War...that would almost ruin the gameplay completely.

"Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump." Just thought I'd bring that to awareness;)

From the various reviews I've read on this matter, there IS lag, but it isn't apparent to a degree where it becomes a problem, even in FPS games such as Halo.

Wouldn't the cable used have an effect on this as well?

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Cable length does become an issue, but only with lengths of roughly 25ft or more. That is in terms of ethernet cat 5 cables anyway.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Remember also. You are not going to be getting HiDef image, so don't expect great visual quality if it's a 360 or PS3 you are using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.