Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Seeing Duet Display on sale reminded e of something I'm interested in, although I'm pretty sure such a beast doesn't exist. But maybe it does and someone can point me in the right direction.

What I want is an app (and likely a hardware dongle) that would let me use an iPad (any iDevice, really but iPad seems to make the most sense) as essentially just a dumb wired monitor. Duet works when attached directly to a computer as a second display, but I just want to be able to plug the iPad into a random video source (HDMI, preferably) under some situations (basically using the iPad as a portable display screen).

Example of usage: In-car entertainment system - rig up multiple iPads all plugged into the same video source (say, and Apple TV and an HDMI splitter) and provide the same video at the same time to different seats.

Example 2: No-projector presentations - provide iDevices (or have attendees BYOD) linked to the presenter's video source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.