Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hello. I’m setting up an iPad for my grandparents and I have a few questions.

I’ve purchased a SIM-card with data, minutes, and texts.

I have set them up with an iCloud account, and can contact them through iMessage, using their iCloud email address as the main ‘contact handle’ per-se.

Using the SIM-card, I’m unable to ‘traditional SMS’ and ‘traditional phone call’ them, which is to be expected, as the device is an iPad and not an iPhone.

So I understand that you cannot use SMS messages on an iPad, BUT…

My question is.

If I associate the SIM-card number with the iMessage account first

(i.e. taking SIM-card out of iPad, putting the SIM-card in an iPhone and linking grandparents iMessage with SIM-card number, then afterwards, putting SIM-card back into iPad)

, will SMS-texts be forwarded to iMessage now that the SIM-card number is now associated with iMessage?

Hope this makes sense + thank you.

IMG_0001.PNG

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Hello. I’m setting up an iPad for my grandparents and I have a few questions.

I’ve purchased a SIM-card with data, minutes, and texts.

I have set them up with an iCloud account, and can contact them through iMessage, using their iCloud email address as the main ‘contact handle’ per-se.

Using the SIM-card, I’m unable to ‘traditional SMS’ and ‘traditional phone call’ them, which is to be expected, as the device is an iPad and not an iPhone.

So I understand that you cannot use SMS messages on an iPad, BUT…

My question is.

If I associate the SIM-card number with the iMessage account first

(i.e. taking SIM-card out of iPad, putting the SIM-card in an iPhone and linking grandparents iMessage with SIM-card number, then afterwards, putting SIM-card back into iPad)

, will SMS-texts be forwarded to iMessage now that the SIM-card number is now associated with iMessage?

Hope this makes sense + thank you.

View attachment 965429

No. SMS texts will not be forwarded under this scenario. The number would also disassociate with iMessage after a couple of months away from the iphone.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
No. SMS texts will not be forwarded under this scenario. The number would also disassociate with iMessage after a couple of months away from the iphone.

Ah, understandable. Will use their iCloud email address as their main iMessage contact handle then. Thanks!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Oh, really? Could've sworn otherwise. ?

To which point is this aimed at?

SMS texts will not be forwarded under this scenario.

or

The number would also disassociate with iMessage after a couple of months away from the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.