Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Hi!

I've always wanted one and I finally was able to be my hands on an iPod hi-fi this weekend! Super excited :)

My question is what's the best way to use it in today's world? Meaning for streaming music or running off my iTunes library. I read about using an AirPort Express and running AirPlay, is that still the way to go? Or is there a bluetooth dongle that I can use to get AirPlay?

Any tips would be great appreciated :)

Thanks!

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Hi!

I've always wanted one and I finally was able to be my hands on an iPod hi-fi this weekend! Super excited :)

My question is what's the best way to use it in today's world? Meaning for streaming music or running off my iTunes library. I read about using an AirPort Express and running AirPlay, is that still the way to go? Or is there a bluetooth dongle that I can use to get AirPlay?

Any tips would be great appreciated :)

Thanks!

This is just my personal opinion but seeing as how this is a great piece of kit, I think it deserves to have a proper iPod with a 30 pin connector on the top of it! With many storage, sizes and colour choices to choose from this is the way to go for your iTunes library even it if it just sits on the dock all the time I like being able to just walk up to it and play a song and you can't beat the click wheel for searching!!

If you want to stream to it, there are Bluetooth to 30pin adapters around and they do the job I guess, I have one for mine but I never use it.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Agreed, grab yourself a 30-pin iPod and use that sucker! That's what I did for the iHome on my desk, and it looks great :)

IMG_2361.JPG

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
I found an ancient iPod 80gb (5.5 gen) in my closet and just bought this hifi unit for it. Is the zeppelin better?

I got this for $80(CAD). I like the sound so far; it's been nice to use! I'm going to load it up with some lossless sound and try it out again.

Anyone know how to get a device to ignore the remote? I.e. My hifi unit is above my Apple TV, so whenever I want to skip a song or change the volume, it wakes my Apple TV... :(

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
I found an ancient iPod 80gb (5.5 gen) in my closet and just bought this hifi unit for it. Is the zeppelin better?

I got this for $80(CAD). I like the sound so far; it's been nice to use! I'm going to load it up with some lossless sound and try it out again.

Anyone know how to get a device to ignore the remote? I.e. My hifi unit is above my Apple TV, so whenever I want to skip a song or change the volume, it wakes my Apple TV... :(

I don't unfortunately own both but when I in the process of buying one I did read a lot of reviews of both and from what I could make out they both sound great with very little difference between them. So the main factors to go on are price, features and design. I think the Zeppelin looks better, I also like the way the iPod is easily accessible by the way its presented to you on its arm. But it doesn't have the portable battery option like the iPod hifi. But you can hook up the zeppelin to the TV to watch videos from the iPod while sound comes from the zeppelin. The also both have line in which is useful. The zeppelin does also have a remote but it won't interfere with the apple tv as they are different.

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016

You can pair a separate remote to the Apple TV and it will not be affected by the hifi remote but the hifi will be affected by the Apple TV remote.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I do stream my iMac library with an airport express. Since I keep it on a shelf in my bedroom that is not near the sitting area or the bed, I prefer this to the iPod option simply because I can have full control of the music using the remote app on my phone and iPad.

setoth96

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
Last year, (2019), I picked one up for a good price. When I got a stereo set of HomePods, I thought, why not connect this via S/PDIF to an AirPort Express 802.11N (2nd Generation) unit, upgrade it to use AirPlay 2, and set it up with the HomePods? It works, and I use it as the center channel in my 5.3 Apple audio setup, with the HomePods as front left and right channels, and HomePod mini units as rear surrounds (although the iPod Hi-Fi plus the HomePods is too loud for the HomePod minis to be heard very well at the same volume across all speakers. I like the fact that I can control the volume with the white remote, and mute it if I desire to hear if the speakers are out of sync (happens with AirPlay 2 sometimes), and it's soundstage is considerably warmer than the HomePod's and since it projects such a nice surround heavy mix, it's almost not worth it to have the HomePod minis as rear speakers, as they just can't Compete with the HomePods plus the Hi-Fi all at the same time. One thing is true, with all speakers maxed out, it's hella loud!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.