Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
kalisphoenix, im not sure if you seen but i got this machine on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5849758181#ebayphotohosting

from what i hear its a good deal and it should run tiger fine out of the box. should i install tiger server? or is that over-kill. i plan on using apple remote desktop to do any maintenance on it. my plan is to replace the dvdrom with a dvdrw eventually, remove the 60gb and use a 250, partition that with 20 for the OS and the rest for storage. that should leave me with 3 ide connections which i would add 3 more 300GB drives (or w/e is on sale in the future) i want to stay away from anything external just because if i wanted external storage i could hook up drives to my powermac i have now. A TB of space would be great but im not sure how much i need, i guess ill buy it as i need it.

thanks for the reply

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
meeks said:
kalisphoenix, im not sure if you seen but i got this machine on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5849758181#ebayphotohosting

from what i hear its a good deal and it should run tiger fine out of the box. should i install tiger server? or is that over-kill. i plan on using apple remote desktop to do any maintenance on it. my plan is to replace the dvdrom with a dvdrw eventually, remove the 60gb and use a 250, partition that with 20 for the OS and the rest for storage. that should leave me with 3 ide connections which i would add 3 more 300GB drives (or w/e is on sale in the future) i want to stay away from anything external just because if i wanted external storage i could hook up drives to my powermac i have now. A TB of space would be great but im not sure how much i need, i guess ill buy it as i need it.

thanks for the reply

If I can find the link there is a guy who writes a nice article on how to get regular OSX to act like OSX Server with a few freeware and shareware programs. However, if you are just using it as just a file server, many of things he suggests may be overkill. Lemme go searching...

Edit:
Wow, that was simple enough. Gotta love it when it's the very first thing on the list on your very first search. Man, it's been a good day.

Anywho, here is the above mentioned link
http://lowendmac.com/crews/05/1128.html

Hopefully this helps you out. Happy reading!

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
thanks for the info leftbanke7, i see server is a little more than i need and i would rather spend 129 on tiger, or even get it on ebay cheaper and use that first. i would also like to thank everyone else who replied to my topic and helped me out. you have been a great help

meeks

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
leftbanke7 said:
If I can find the link there is a guy who writes a nice article on how to get regular OSX to act like OSX Server with a few freeware and shareware programs. However, if you are just using it as just a file server, many of things he suggests may be overkill. Lemme go searching...

Edit:
Wow, that was simple enough. Gotta love it when it's the very first thing on the list on your very first search. Man, it's been a good day.

Anywho, here is the above mentioned link
http://lowendmac.com/crews/05/1128.html

Hopefully this helps you out. Happy reading!

By Left Banke, you mean, like, "Pretty Ballerina"?

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
leftbanke7 said:
And Walk Away Renee :) The avatar is their band picture.

Not *quite* one of my favorite bands, but I definitely appreciate their body of work (so far as I know it -- I have their 20th Century Masters CD or some similar compilation). It's truly a shame that the composer left the band as early as he did, just when they were getting big. "Pretty Ballerina" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever written, and my band performed "Walk Away Renee" in the high school talent show. The vocalist -- what a voice! Not much of a singer, in a technical sense, but I haven't heard anyone else who managed to sound as much like my soul.

(sorry for the OT)

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
kalisphoenix, how do i disable aqua? and would that mean it would just be a command line os?

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
meeks said:
kalisphoenix, how do i disable aqua? and would that mean it would just be a command line os?

Lessee...

You need to switch the # signs for these two lines (ie, uncomment the first and comment the second):
/etc/ttys said:
#console "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600" vt100 on secure
console "/System/Library/CoreServices...
Note that the second line is considerably longer in the real file. Use pico -w, as in "sudo pico -w /etc/ttys" because -w disables word-wrapping, which would otherwise mess that file up.

Also
Code:
sudo /usr/bin/nvram boot-args="-v"
makes the boot verbose instead of showing the gray Apple and spinny thing when you boot.

Simply booting into single-user mode, mounting /, and reversing the changes to /etc/ttys will get you back into Aqua. Yeah, it's a CLI. I suggest you do all your configuration in Aqua, then make these changes and reboot, and then change back and reboot if you need to do more configuration or if you want to use it as a desktop. Of course, if you don't feel comfortable, don't use it.

Edit: That should be it, but I feel like I'm missing another step here. Unfortunately, I can't try it out since my only working Mac is my server/desktop, which can't go down.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
kalisphoenix said:
Not *quite* one of my favorite bands, but I definitely appreciate their body of work (so far as I know it -- I have their 20th Century Masters CD or some similar compilation). It's truly a shame that the composer left the band as early as he did, just when they were getting big. "Pretty Ballerina" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever written, and my band performed "Walk Away Renee" in the high school talent show. The vocalist -- what a voice! Not much of a singer, in a technical sense, but I haven't heard anyone else who managed to sound as much like my soul.

(sorry for the OT)

The lead singer's name is Steve Martin (later changed to his real name of Steve Martin Caro for obvious reasons) and yes it is, quite possibly, the most hauntingly beautiful voice I have ever heard. It's amazing how Steve can vocalize the feeling that Michael Brown (lead composer, and only 16 at the time of writing both Pretty Ballerina and W.A.R.) had put down on paper about his obsession about Renee (at the time, the girl friend of band guitarist Tom Finn).

Is your L.B. CD The Complete Recordings 1966-1969 one or the History of the L.B one released on Rhino Records? If it's the latter, I am willing to make you an offer for it.

And I also apologize about being OT.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
leftbanke7 said:
The lead singer's name is Steve Martin (later changed to his real name of Steve Martin Caro for obvious reasons) and yes it is, quite possibly, the most hauntingly beautiful voice I have ever heard. It's amazing how Steve can vocalize the feeling that Michael Brown (lead composer, and only 16 at the time of writing both Pretty Ballerina and W.A.R.) had put down on paper about his obsession about Renee (at the time, the girl friend of band guitarist Tom Finn).

Is your L.B. CD The Complete Recordings 1966-1969 one or the History of the L.B one released on Rhino Records? If it's the latter, I am willing to make you an offer for it.

And I also apologize about being OT.

*looks* I can't find it :mad: I only have a few tracks from them in my library (Desiree, Shadows Breaking Over My Head, and PB and WAR), so I'm really frustrated. No Ivy Ivy :-(

I just did a search on Amazon and the one I have -- somewhere -- is There's Gonna Be a Storm. And it's going for $50! Holy ****!

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
kalisphoenix said:
*looks* I can't find it :mad: I only have a few tracks from them in my library (Desiree, Shadows Breaking Over My Head, and PB and WAR), so I'm really frustrated. No Ivy Ivy :-(

I just did a search on Amazon and the one I have -- somewhere -- is There's Gonna Be a Storm. And it's going for $50! Holy ****!

That's what happens then they go out of print. Apparently the first CD I bought of theirs, a Japanese import of their first album, was worth a lot of money. Me being in high school at the time, I of course lost the cover to it and slid it in and out of one of those big sleeves and scratched it all up. Well, some guy from Australia finds out I had a copy and was willing to offer me over 100 bucks for it...until he found out that it wasn't in great shape.

Another band that may be of interest of you is Montage. It was Michael Brown's pet project after leaving The Left Banke. He isn't an official member of the band but it's obvious his influence is all over. The vocals aren't as good as Martin's but they are better overall musicians than the members of the LB were. Their record was released on CD a few years ago and should be available at a decent cost

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
ok i got my powermac today and it had panther installed and i was surprised how well it ran. now i figured i would install tiger, which i got running fine now. my problem is that i plugged in my 250gb hd and it only sees 128gb. is this a problem with the hardware just being too old? i know i can pop in a ata raid card into the empty pci slot but would like to fix without spending any money if possible. also the hd included is a 60gb 7200rpm ibm deskstar. would i be better getting a newer drive or does the ide bus run at ata 66? thats the fastest right?

thanks again

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
ok thanks for the help ill pick one up cheap on ebay!

btw, this pm seems to be running just as well as my old mac mini! i can't believe how well its working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.