Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I mean, the thing is much smaller than the Mac Pro but still packs most of the processing power...and rack-mounting like 10 of them next to a bookcase would look sweet :D Or it could just sit on a desk with a cinema display on top.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
I have two Xserves, rack mounted. They're too loud for a workstation.

I was thinking about bolting an Xserve to the underside of my desk until I actually bought one.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
they are loud? really? why? ahhaha i would have never expected that, then again i know absolutely nothing about servers....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Really, really loud.

And they're huge. As in almost 4 feet long.

No way in hell would they just be able to run on your desk with a Cinema Display on top.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
Really, really loud.

And they're huge. As in almost 4 feet long.

No way in hell would they just be able to run on your desk with a Cinema Display on top.

It says on the apple page that they're 30" long.

That said, yeah, it would be pretty awkward to put it on a desk with a display on top.

I'm just curious though is 10.5 server capable of running all the same apps that regular 10.5 can do, except with more server functionality?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
It is the same as running a Mac Pro minus the graphic cards. It is noisy when you boot it up but after that it should be okay.

Runs everything the same. The server apps don't even start til you go into Server Admin and turn on the services you want.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Me thinks he hasn't :p

Sure, 10 of them lol. Go for it.

LOL well I've been in a roomful of servers, and it was quite the deafening racket...but you're right, I've never heard just one running by itself. Oh well, it was worth a try. :D :apple:

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Just wait until the Xserve nanos come out. They will be 0.5inch thin (1.3cm) made of a solid aluminum unibody and anodized steel frame. Will be the funnest servers ever!!

They are made smaller by removing all the unnecessary ports and using advanced solid state hard drives. Have a striking glass led-backlit screen and built in isight. Research has shown that most network administrators loved these!

They are also greener than any other server having no added mercury, lead or arsenic. The future is almost here!! :apple:

bmhealy001

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
You can definitely hear even a single xserve running quite loudly from across the room. They also are quite large and not the lightest things to be moving around.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Just wait until the Xserve nanos come out. They will be 0.5inch thin (1.3cm) made of a solid aluminum unibody and anodized steel frame. Will be the funnest servers ever!!

They are made smaller by removing all the unnecessary ports and using advanced solid state hard drives. Have a striking glass led-backlit screen and built in isight. Research has shown that most network administrators loved these!

They are also greener than any other server having no added mercury, lead or arsenic. The future is almost here!! :apple:

Ouch! Bitterness :D

You can definitely hear even a single xserve running quite loudly from across the room. They also are quite large and not the lightest things to be moving around.

Lucky me...I just got to use an IBM IntelliStation today...the damn thing sounded like 50 Shop Vacs going all at once. :D

s2r1k

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
XServe as desktop

I mean, the thing is much smaller than the Mac Pro but still packs most of the processing power...and rack-mounting like 10 of them next to a bookcase would look sweet :D Or it could just sit on a desk with a cinema display on top.

Actually, I have one of the dual quad XServes that I use as my regular desktop. One caveat, however - the previous posters are correct. It is a server-class machine, and meant for a data center. It's loud and has an awkward shape for a desk. I have mine in another room in a rack and run the video, USB, and FW cable to my office. It's perfectly quiet that way.

You'll need to use FW for audio, since it (unsurprisingly) doesn't have any onboard audio.

One other thing I discovered the hard way is that you'll have to provide your own solution to powering a card that requires offboard power; I managed to get the 8800 working in mine.

Outside of that, it's a great machine, but I wouldn't recommend it for just anyone because of some of idiosyncrasies of running a server as your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.