Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Bottom line: is it worth it to hunt down an old adapter to make a modern mobile device work with an older accessory?

I've been enjoying the original Apple keyboard with a 30-pin connection and an audio port, but my iPad is getting too old: I use it for synced Notes, but due to the old age, it takes far too long to load the notes, and to edit anything, especially in large files. When I realized that I was using a keyboard-docked iPad next to a modern iPhone that had a Bluetooth keyboard paired to it so I would view the notes on the iPad screen but type the stuff into the iPhone that could handle the processing load, I realized that I should start thinking of getting a new iPad.

But the problem is, I really like the Apple keyboard. There was a time when I acquired one of those iPad covers that has a keyboard, and the feel of those things is just gimmicky, they could never double as a serious laptop replacement that's for typing. Also, I'd rather not get a dedicated Bluetooth keyboard for an iPad because compared to simply sticking that iPad onto the keyboard dock and typing right away, having to pair a keyboard, charge a keyboard, and also buy and carry around something that will hold the iPad upright seems like a massively inconvenient downgrade. (Which is what I feel about a lot of Apple's recent "let's get rid of this and that" moves...)

I noticed that there's an adapter that converts the dock keyboard's male 30-pin connector to a male lightning connector for newer devices. But I'm under the impression that it was intended mainly for chargers, so would I actually be able to use it for the keyboard too? I understand that the adapter adds some height, so would it cause a newer iPad to be left without back support, putting strain onto the connector itself? If yes, is that easily fixable by simply putting some kind of back rest between the iPad and the dock's back rest?

Thanks!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who enjoyed and appreciated the 1st gen keyboard dock for the iPad. I had preordered one on the first day that they were available. I loved how productive I was with that 1st gen iPad. It's a shame that it was quickly discontinued.

The challenges you'll encounter in wanting to continue to use it is that there is only one iPad currently sold with a lightning connector. That's the 9th gen iPad.

A 30-pin to lightning connector will indeed work for connecting a newer iPad to the dock. But you are right to be concerned about the strain on that connector. You'll need to use something (like foam tape) on the back support of the dock to fill the gap between the support and the iPad.

Although I prefer a portrait orientation for the iPad when typing, I have found that the Apple Smart Keyboard Cover for the 9th gen iPad to be a great modern alternative. If you decide to retire that keyboard dock, I highly recommend the 9th gen iPad + ASK cover combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.