Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
I'm looking for a hardware guru who can advise on using an old G3 iMac for its modem to connect a Macbook to a dial up ISP.

The G3 is running OS9 - while the Macbook is OSX (10.4 of course) - any ideas?

Can this be done? Or is it off to the apple store to buy a modem.....

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm on the road and won't be able to check in as often as I like, but will send good will and kind thoughts to anyone who can help!!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
If the iMac were running OS X, you may be able to do it with internet connection sharing, but it hardly seems like it would be worth the trouble. On the other hand, if you have an airport card in the iMac and could use wireless sharing... that may be worth considering to keep you from having to use the the phone cord to your MacBook.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
On my imac G5 running Tiger, there is an "internet" tab under "sharing" in system preferences that allows me to share my internet connection from anywhere (including the internal modem) to anywhere (except the internal modem). Check and see if OS9 has similar options. I'd think it's pretty likely that it does, although it's been a little while since I've used OS9. You could set up your imac to share from its internal modem to its ethernet port. If this isn't in OS9, then buying that USB modem dongle is probably your best bet. Or hop onto the broadband train. ;)

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
mopppish said:
On my imac G5 running Tiger, there is an "internet" tab under "sharing" in system preferences that allows me to share my internet connection from anywhere (including the internal modem) to anywhere (except the internal modem). Check and see if OS9 has similar options. I'd think it's pretty likely that it does, although it's been a little while since I've used OS9. You could set up your imac to share from its internal modem to its ethernet port. If this isn't in OS9, then buying that USB modem dongle is probably your best bet. Or hop onto the broadband train. ;)

Good stuff - thanks to you and Heb1228 , This is worth looking into - the Macbook recognized the iMac as a network connection sans wires, so perhaps they can network .... We will see. My friend who owns the hardware is anxious to get on the internet, and I configured her Macbook only a few days ago. Your advice will be appreciated !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.