Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I have an old movie that was made using Adobe Premiere back in the mid-nineties on a PowerPC 7200 with 24mb RAM that I would like to run through iMovie to bring it to today's standard to play on a website...is that possible? I don't really want to install Adobe CSS until I can find a VM that I can install Mojave to run on Monterey Mac Pro 6.1 I have never used iMovie before though...

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Are you just wanting to convert the video you made to a more modern format? If so, I would look into using HandBrake instead. There are various preselected options to encode it for different uses.

iMovie is more for creating movies from other videos and pictures and is pretty limited. For example, it’ll only make 16:9 movies. So if you have content in other aspect ratios, it’ll crop them or put black bars in the movie (pillarbox/letterbox).

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Are you just wanting to convert the video you made to a more modern format? If so, I would look into using HandBrake instead. There are various preselected options to encode it for different uses.
Yes, I'll check that Handbrake out...thank you for sharing.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
I can't tell from what you wrote what it is you're trying to do nor how something like "PowerPC 7200 with 24mb RAM" is relevant. 🤨 Do you want to re-edit the original project or just transcode the final movie? Those are two entirely different tasks.

If the latter, then what iStorm said. iMovie has nothing to do with transcoding, it's an editor.

Last edited:

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
how something like "PowerPC 7200 with 24mb RAM" is relevant.
That was to share info the age of the movie and the environment it was created.
If the latter, then what iStorm said. iMovie has nothing to do with transcoding, it's an editor.
iStorm got it without, what appears, the condescending tone...some editors can clean up also, right?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
iStorm got it without, what appears, the condescending tone...some editors can clean up also, right?

Er… no idea what was supposedly so "condescending", but whatever. And even now I don't know what it is you're trying to do, i.e. what "clean up" means to you. Again, whether re-editing or simply transcoding. So I guess I'll just leave the help and suggestions to less "condescending" others.

And by transcoding any given clip, you are, if anything, only making things (quality) worse by the way. Not "cleaner". Best of luck.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
what "clean up" means to you.
It means just wanting to convert the 25yrs old video I made to a more modern format to meet today's website...according to Handbrake, it help keep original quality...so, I am betting. Note the "what appears" didn't say definitely or is...
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 2.14.05 PM.png

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I had a similar problem early this year when I made a throwback vlog shot on MiniDV and edited on Adobe Premiere 6.5 on my PowerMac G4 MDD running Mac OS 9.2.2.
B28173CC-8E5E-4435-9F28-67DEF0A603A7_1_105_c.jpeg

When trying to upload the finished video file on YouTube, the file format was too old to play properly on my M1 MacBook Air. So I ended up booting the MDD into Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, as that could open and play the file in QuickTime Pro 7, and I re-encoded the file into a more modern MPEG-4 format that newer Mac OS versions AND YouTube could support.

Last edited:

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I was able to open and convert it with Quicktime on High Sierra on a 2011 MBP then install Handbrake on High Sierra to get ready for the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.