Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
As of recent, I have been looking into getting a proper 6th get iPad mini, mainly for art, iWork integration and because I've realized that I don't really need a lot of the qualities that make a phone a phone (phone calls, smaller size, social media stuff). And I will not give Android tablets the chance at all since they've never met my needs in the past. I want to ask anyone here if, when I possibly get this with both wifi and cellular, if this would be a viable alternative to a phone?
Of course, phone calls and such cannot TRULY replace a phone for me, but what I mean by this is just taking the iPad with me everywhere I go instead of relying on a phone.
And to add one more thing so I don't make two separate threads, does Cricket Wireless work fine on iPad or no? Because that could be a maker or breaker in this purchasing decision.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil1975

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Perhaps you already know this, but just to clarify: the cellular service on a iPad is only a data service, not a phone service.
So any "calls" you make or receive on an iPad need to be done via a data connection, not a phone connection: like making/receiving a call on a computer - such as using a VoIP service or other similar workaround.

Although a cellular iPad has a phone number associated with it, this is not a real phone number that anyone can call - it is really just an identifier for the cellular data service.

If you have an iPad and an iPhone on the same wifi network and same Apple ID, phone calls from/to the iPad can be routed through the iPhone.

For at least some carriers (in my case, Verizon), can also make/receive calls (using the FaceTime app) over wifi or cellular data without the phone nearby. On my cellular iPad Mini 6, I can make/receive calls (using FaceTime app) over wifi or cellular data without the phone even being turned on. "Wifi calling" needs to be available and enabled with your carrier (done via a setting on the iPhone), and various other settings on the iPhone and iPad enabled.
I don't use it this way - more straightforward just to carry my iPhone. Note: to do this, you have to have an iPhone with the same carrier, even though the iPhone is not turned on. When people call you, they call your iPhone number, and you pick it up on your iPad (it rings on your iPad also).

A cellular data connection to your iPad will also incur data usage (both incoming and outgoing), whereas regular phone call minutes to a phone are usually "free." Also, remember that cellular phone service usually covers a greater geographic area than cellular data service.

Another thing is the iPad only has a speakerphone - so all conversation will be heard by everyone nearby.

So it seems to work to some extent. YMMV.

Last edited:

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
Think you be better off getting a large 6.7 inch iphone 13 pro max to replace the ipad mini

Or even better would be a Samsung Fold 3 ;) (But then you said you no want an Android tablet )

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For at least some carriers (in my case, Verizon), can also make/receive calls (using the FaceTime app) over wifi or cellular data without the phone nearby. On my cellular iPad Mini 6, I can make/receive calls (using FaceTime app) over wifi or cellular data without the phone even being turned on. "Wifi calling" needs to be available and enabled with your carrier (done via a setting on the iPhone), and various other settings on the iPhone and iPad enabled.
I don't use it this way - more straightforward just to carry my iPhone. Note: to do this, you have to have an iPhone with the same carrier, even though the iPhone is not turned on. When people call you, they call your iPhone number, and you pick it up on your iPad (it rings on your iPad also).

Note, having the same carrier on both iPad and iPhone is NOT necessary for Wi-Fi calling. I have Wi-Fi calling enabled with AT&T iPhone and iPad+T-Mobile $10/5GB/5 month plan.

Pretty useful when I happen to forget the iPhone at home. Add SMS forwarding and iMessage, and I can be reached on the iPad on my regular cell number as long as there's internet. This is one reason I won't make the switch to Android phones.

Reactions: wilberforce

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
Perhaps you already know this, but just to clarify: the cellular service on a iPad is only a data service, not a phone service.
So any "calls" you make or receive on an iPad need to be done via a data connection, not a phone connection: like making/receiving a call on a computer - such as using a VoIP service or other similar workaround.

Although a cellular iPad has a phone number associated with it, this is not a real phone number than anyone can call - it is really just an identifier for the cellular data service.

If you have an iPad and an iPhone on the same wifi network and same Apple ID, phone calls from/to the iPad can be routed through the iPhone.

A cellular data connection to your iPad will also incur data usage (both incoming and outgoing), whereas regular phone call minutes to a phone are usually "free." Also, remember that cellular phone service usually covers a greater geographic area than cellular data service.

Another thing is the iPad only has a speakerphone - so all conversation will be heard by everyone nearby.

So it seems to work to some extent. YMMV.
Yeah, I kinda knew about the whole phone service stuff. I'm prepared for that by not giving up my phone entirely and just keeping it around.
Though thinking about it, VOIP could always be an option, but for certain things like website verification and the fact these services still cost money, I'll just stick with keeping my phone as like. The side chick.

Reactions: wilberforce

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
In addition, the iPad has no native fitness app, no watch app, no calculator nor weather app. For some you can of course run third party apps, but the native apps are sometimes reserved for iPhones- making sure you still buy one on a regular basis.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Also as I do, as long as you're connected to your home WiFi or public hotspot, your non-cellular iPad can make and receive phone calls with Google Voice and/or Skype (both free or almost free). No cellular service required.

Reactions: Vinigv

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
With all the talk on this being a phone replacement, though, I have to ask this: Would it be wise to get a small bluetooth keyboard for this or just keep on typing with the virtual keyboard? It's not big enough to warrant something like the Magic Keyboard like the iPad Pro, but not small enough like a phone where you could interlock fingers and typing comfortably while cradling it. So I dunno which way I should go with this, especially since I plan to use stuff like Pages, Numbers and Keynotes on this a lot.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
With all the talk on this being a phone replacement, though, I have to ask this: Would it be wise to get a small bluetooth keyboard for this or just keep on typing with the virtual keyboard? It's not big enough to warrant something like the Magic Keyboard like the iPad Pro, but not small enough like a phone where you could interlock fingers and typing comfortably while cradling it. So I dunno which way I should go with this, especially since I plan to use stuff like Pages, Numbers and Keynotes on this a lot.

I found the minis pretty nice for thumb typing when in portrait mode. Maybe a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for at home use, but I honestly wouldn’t think that content creation is the mini’s strong side due to the display size, but YMMV of course.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
I found the minis pretty nice for thumb typing when in portrait mode. Maybe a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for at home use, but I honestly wouldn’t think that content creation is the mini’s strong side due to the display size, but YMMV of course.
Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea to have a keyboard, especially if something comes up and I have to bang out a long ass doc or something without my laptop in tow.
Content creation...eh, you got a good point. If anything, I would just use this to record stuff and write at most.
Besides, I feel like having anything larger than this just for content creation...I might as well whip out the MacBook, hah hah.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea to have a keyboard, especially if something comes up and I have to bang out a long ass doc or something without my laptop in tow.
Content creation...eh, you got a good point. If anything, I would just use this to record stuff and write at most.
Besides, I feel like having anything larger than this just for content creation...I might as well whip out the MacBook, hah hah.

Yes if you have a MacBook already there isn’t much point to adding much to the iPad setup.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
Yes if you have a MacBook already there isn’t much point to adding much to the iPad setup.
Yep, and since I'm prioritizing portability, I'm alright with not dragging my main media station around everywhere.

On a side not, however, since I've been thinking more deeply about this, I wonder now if I should get a different bag to hold this. I'm a loyal fanny pack user and I'm sure my current boi wouldn't be able to support an 8 inch tablet.

afblangley

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
When Samsung bought back my Fold 3, I replaced it with an iPad mini. All the tasks I used to do on a smartphone are now done on the iPad. My public phone number was already a Google Voice number, so phone calls and texts are seamless on the iPad. The iPad is usually close at hand but it doesn't have to be. I always have my other phone on me- a Samsung watch with a SIM card (that works completely independent of a smartphone).

• Love

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
My combo will be iPad mini 6 and iPhone SE 2020, I don't wanna leave Apple environment but I don't think I'll use the phone as much as I do it now when I receive the iPad.

• Love

Sluchbox

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2021
Since I started carrying my iPad Mini with me everywhere, I only use my iPhone for:

1) Making voice calls, which I don’t do as often as I used to since people are moving to messaging and email more and more.
2) Text messages, but I don’t do this often because most people I communicate with have iPhones so I use iMessaging thru my iPad.
3) The rare time that I don’t have my iPad with me, such as when running into a store.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
If you are going to do any sort of desktop work on it like Productivity suites and the like, it is definitely worth picking up not only a keyboard but a mouse as well. It will just make your life a bit easier.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
If you are going to do any sort of desktop work on it like Productivity suites and the like, it is definitely worth picking up not only a keyboard but a mouse as well. It will just make your life a bit easier.
Ahh, I see. In the long run, that's probably the best idea. Especially since writing on a tablet with only the virtual keyboard leaves a big valley between your thumbs hah hah.
Though now that I think about it, are there any official keyboards from Apple made for the iPad Mini? All I see on the website is keyboards for the Pro, Air and regular iPad. Are there any good keyboards out there specifically for the Mini?

Sluchbox

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2021
I used to hold the iPad mini in portrait orientation and use my two thumbs to type on the virtual keyboard, which was pretty easy for me to type quickly.

But for the last few years I have been using the speech to text function for just about everything, including this post.

I have never had the need for a mouse either.

Reactions: Vinigv and ericwn

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Ahh, I see. In the long run, that's probably the best idea. Especially since writing on a tablet with only the virtual keyboard leaves a big valley between your thumbs hah hah.
Though now that I think about it, are there any official keyboards from Apple made for the iPad Mini? All I see on the website is keyboards for the Pro, Air and regular iPad. Are there any good keyboards out there specifically for the Mini?
I am not sure but any Bluetooth mouse and keyboard should work.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

Check out the Brydge keyboard folios. Loving the one I use with my 12.9”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.